AIR BUBBLES IN POWER STEERING

capehorner

Reaction score
MY CAR ( 2800 CS 1970) HAS SAT FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS. I AM PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER. DRAINED THE POWER STEERING FLUID. REFILLED AND STARTED CAR. DID THE NORMAL STUFF...TURNING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. KEEP HEARING NOISES FROM SYSTEM, OIL HAS TURNED BROWNISH WITH FOAM ON TOP. AM GOING TO REDRAIN AND REFILL AND TRY AGAIN. HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.

MATT BOWMAN
SO CAL

MMercury

Reaction score
capehorner said:
DRAINED THE POWER STEERING FLUID. REFILLED AND STARTED CAR. DID THE NORMAL STUFF...TURNING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. KEEP HEARING NOISES FROM SYSTEM, OIL HAS TURNED BROWNISH WITH FOAM ON TOP. AM GOING TO REDRAIN AND REFILL AND TRY AGAIN. HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE.

If the fluid turns brown and foamy I wonder if you are completely draining the system? If, for example, you are only emptying the reservoir you are missing quite a bit more contaminated fluid. I am not aware of any rule-of-thumb about times to completely purge the system of oil.

The foam is more troubling than the color since it means air is being introduced into the system. You did not describe the foam but most foam usually occurs when the fluid level is low or when there is a leak in or near the suction side of the pump. Since the new fluid contains anti foaming additives, conversely, I guess the contaminated fluid or whatever fluid it is, could be the cause of the foaming.

That noise you hear could be a worn pump or it may be the sign of a pump that is cavitating due to the unwanted air. Some noise is normal.

hth

capehorner

Reaction score
MMercury said:
capehorner said:
DRAINED THE POWER STEERING FLUID. REFILLED AND STARTED CAR. DID THE NORMAL STUFF...TURNING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. KEEP HEARING NOISES FROM SYSTEM, OIL HAS TURNED BROWNISH WITH FOAM ON TOP. AM GOING TO REDRAIN AND REFILL AND TRY AGAIN. HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE.

If the fluid turns brown and foamy I wonder if you are completely draining the system? If, for example, you are only emptying the reservoir you are missing quite a bit more contaminated fluid. I am not aware of any rule-of-thumb about times to completely purge the system of oil.

The foam is more troubling than the color since it means air is being introduced into the system. You did not describe the foam but most foam usually occurs when the fluid level is low or when there is a leak in or near the suction side of the pump. Since the new fluid contains anti foaming additives, conversely, I guess the contaminated fluid or whatever fluid it is, could be the cause of the foaming.

That noise you hear could be a worn pump or it may be the sign of a pump that is cavitating due to the unwanted air. Some noise is normal.

Thanks for your input, i completely drained the unit and refilled with denatured alcohol, then drained that and refilled. all works well now...thanks to all you guys. again thank you

hth