Air Conditioning Options

Roger S

Reaction score
In the process of changing all of my hoses, gaskets, and "cleaning" the engine compartment. Debating whether I should stay with the stock system or if I should put in something newer. Any recommendations (please, no why put it back in)? Should I use part of the stock system or should I change out the entire thing?

I have also given some thought to desmogging the car and minimizing the compartment; any thoughts pro or con? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

rns

You could convert the whole thing to the newer refrigerant, as it will save you money when it comes itme to recharge your system. Have the compressor and condensor rebuilt; it will make the system function much better, bring everything back up to spec.

To get a better idea of your options, go to an AC specialty shop, I am sure they will be able to give you all the details.

About 3 years ago I revamped my entire AC system converting to R-134a refrigerant. My system was shot so I replaced the pump (Sanden) and had all new hoses fabricated. Upgrading your system will be a plus for three reasons: 1) R-134a is cheaper, environmentaly friendly, and can be found (R-12 is tougher, and tougher to find and $$$) 2) the Sanden pump is very efficient and blows cold, and 3) there is almost zero noticable draw on the engine with that pump. I was running a tired carbed automatic that would stumble at stoplights and I could run the AC in D and stopped with no noticable draw! Very amazing and cold.

Shawn

If you still have a piston compressor (like a York), definitely swap to a newer style compressor. The one from the e28 is nice, very compact, and you can find them refurbished for under $100. Remember you'll need new brackets that are compatible with whatever compressor you choose. You should have new hoses made, and if you're getting rid of a piston compressor you can delete the muffler from the system, so the only under-hood component needed other than the compressor is a dryer canister.

You should switch to R134a for economy and availability. Don't buy the hype about it being enviro-friendly. Think about how much money DuPont made by getting R12 out of the market and R134a in... The environment was a convenient excuse for the market strategy.

As for the emissions gear -- yank it. In both my e9 and e3, none of the little vacuum switches even worked any more.

Definitely replace ALL the hoses.

Anyone with A/C should replace all the original fabric-covered hoses. They leak and get worse as they get older. The modern hoses are made to be much more leak resistant. Whether you use R12 or R134, you don't want it to leak.

Thank you for the responses.

I also checked the Roadfly archives for some background. Can you PM me the name/number of the vendor in CA. I can always source the materials/parts from him/her as they are familiar with coupes and install the new system myself. I am in NYC - a bit to the right. Thanks again and please feel free to post any images of engine compartments with new components. Mine is kind of naked right now. If you prefer you can also email to rnscotlandathotmaildotcom

rns

Being Cheeky here.... :wink:
For those of us in more temperate climes our choices are...

Open the windows
or
turn the heat down

Sorry, just could not resist
Malc

Or install the 60MPH system--simple

crank down all windows--open vents to max--open the sunroof--and mash go pedal to 60MPH

Seriously--all new owners should by now realize these are cars designed in the 60's for very cool and temperate European climates where Summer temps rarely went above 75F--some suggestions that work for other than the heat of Summer--always drive with vent lever open to full right--put blower fan on to first or second speed and have your vent and side windows open--and sunroof open all the way--WHAT no sunroof--pity--I'm trusting that NO ONE OUT THERE drives a Coupe in the rain--there are idiots you know--and the tin worm loves CS metal--ehh malc?

You guys are killing me. My car does not have a sunroof and ... dare I say, is an automatic with a partial suede interior - I might as well indulge a little, eh? My 76' 2002 has no AC and is geared for streetable performance; I also get migraine's and don't care for excessive heat. That being said, it is not driven as much during hot Summer days.

O/T: Malc, what's up with the Tartan Army football (soccer) gear? All of the larger size long sleeve t-shirts are sold out across the pond - guess there is a following in the states as well. I heard the Trinidad and Tobago jersey featuring their player named Scotland is selling like hot cakes over in Scotland.

Roger,
Dinna ken about the shirts stuff :)
I find football about as interesting as watching paint dry...
Having said that compared to golf I have watched some really interesting paint dry :shock:

Malc :wink:

Roger,
Dinna ken about the shirts stuff :)
I find football about as interesting as watching paint dry...
Having said that compared to golf I have watched some really interesting paint dry :shock:

Malc :wink:

Watching Golf is indeed right up there with watching grass grow. Really slow grass.

Playing it, on the other hand, isn't too bad. After all, what other physical sport can you play and drink at the same time, legally? :)

Roger:

I seem to remember a discussion of this on the old board (that I came across during a search months ago). I think at that time there was some discussion of the advantage of updating the condenser (i.e. to a newer all aluminum unit that will transfer heat much more effectively). Someone linked to a vendor in Southern California that had bolt-in units for various BMW models including the e9. The argument was that a newer, non-piston compressor and a newer condenser would make a great deal of difference, especially in a R134 system. I'm going to be reassembing my system in coming weeks so if anyone remembers the vendor please post a link.

Mark

Roger,

I have updated my Coupe with a Japanese compressor. The new compressor is part of a kit for BMWs, and only draws 1HP vs. 7 for the German compressors + the whole set up is only around a grand installed. Compare that to the price of a German compressor alone at about $1200.

Carr Industries in Greensboro can point you in the right direction concerning the particulars. They specialize in older BMWs, and did much of the work on my Coupe.

Joe Savovic

Bosch, Sanden or other compressors for the A/C

I am having a prof. overhauled Bosch compressor installed and tested on Tuesday. The A/C workshop will also replace the textile covered hoses and other parts which they find faulty. Regarding the suggested 7 HP lost with this Bosch unit, I suppose this is only when operating the A/C?!?!
Where do you guys in the US buy the Sanden compressors? and the mounting brackets that it requires??
Is Sanden the best solution or is there yet another option in case I install A/C in another Coupé?
Thanks,
PM

A/C Upgrade

I have a 1973 CS, I redid my A/C a couple of years ago. I replaced the compressor with a Sanden rotary. You can get an adapter kit along with a rotary compressor for a 1979 -1981 528i, it bolts directly to your 3.0 block. I would recommend replacing all of the hoses especially since the stock hoses will need to be modified, that's what I did. I had a case of R12 that I had squirreled away sometime ago but if need be I can always flush the system and convert to R134.

D.

Back