Airconditioning 2

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So I am out driving, AC running nicely until...
Compressor pulley seized. The orig York
Recomdations for the least expensive, quality fix?
I am on R12 and the AC hoses are new.
Stan

61porsche

Reaction score
a/c

Stan,

Did your compressor or clutch blow?

Assumming the compressor locked up, you have a choice. Both the York and Sanden can work on R-12 with the proper oil- mineral. Both are similar in cost if you shop hard- $150 if you don't ask for the BMW model. Some might not agree with a rotary, but Bosch was a rotary and perhaps a bracket could be located and the cost of the compressor is the same.

The York would be easier as a direct replacement. The Sanden would require hose fittings, new hoses, and an adapter bracket all available. But it seems many are still offering a " York replacement" kit for a lot-$400-500 which in my mind I can't justify.

If you were going R134, then you probably would need to change the evaporator/ condenser coil to a new crossflow design for better efficiancy.

Either case, a clean and flush is in order including the strainer in the evaporative control valve along with a new dryer.(IMHO)

On a final note- Some "big coupe" owners just recently have switched back to r-12 of late after having done the conversion to 134 according to the posts on that website.

My original York , just tuned last month, discharges 42 degrees @ 95+ Houston degrees just for reference.

Jerry
61Porsche

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe a York?

Let me add some details. I misspoke earlier. I switched from Freon to R 134 last year.
Mario at VSR installed new hoses and a new receiver dryer but kept the York that was already their. It never blew cool air until 5 minutes before it (the compressor not the clutch) seized. I suspect it was on it's way out and happened to be working when Mario did all that work.
The cheapest thing would be to simply but another York fro
Carl Nelson $225 or Coupe King for a little less.
Carl recommends the compressor from a 533. Thoughts?

61porsche

Reaction score
a/c 2r

Stan,

It seems that staying with a York is cheaper. Here's a link to something cheaper- $160 + $20 shipping.: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-8...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483b42fc74

Since you already have R134, Mario would have had to add the charging ports/ changover. Your charge would be 80 percent of 2 lbs if you're doing it yourself. And R134 is cheap.

Sounds like something else is up though since you said it never cooled. Guages and pressures can tell you a lot about what could be going on, once you get it going again.

Good luck with the repair.

Jerry
61Porsche

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I will replace the York

If you can keep the car cool in Houston.... I lived off FM149 (now FM 249) and 1960 near Tomball. I know how hot and humid it can get.

Thanks!

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Hey Stan,

FWIW,

I went with Carl's suggestion of the 5 series compressor. The biggest headache was the task
of new custom hoses. For the past 2 seasons, it been blowing cold--but I don't trust myself to use it as extensively as the AC in my daily driver...

Chuck