Airline Screws

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thought the title might get you!

I booked a flight with American for my wife and I to fly to Indy to see our son. The new thing now is airlines charging more if you want to choose a seat, any seat, not necc a special one. I don't bother with this since we don't care, as long as the seats are together and they always have been. Well today I was notified that my wife and I are in separate isles, each isle has only two seats and yes, the seat next to her is available but for 49 dollars more because it is preferred (=you get to get on early which is the last thing I want to do, ie sit on the plane even longer than I have to). Seat next to me was not available.

I tried to explain to the rep that we did not pay extra for the seat my wife is in and that the algorithm is set up to maximize profit which is why they separated us. Yes, could have waited till the airport and prob gotten 2 seats together...or not. Rep claimed my wife paid extra for the seat................Jesus I booked both of them.

Where the hell is consumer protection concerning the airlines, oil companies, Bank fees etc. Gas goes up before a shortage but in anticipation of one? We get 10% of oil from Russia but this will affect the pump price dramtically? Airlines gets fined, money goes where, not to the screwed consumer. Does anyone do anything to help the middle class?

Always disliked American and booked with Jet Blue and got an email that we were switched to American. These guys do anything they want!

Last edited:
Airlines do not realize that with people flipping during the pandemic and getting into physical attacks on the crews they should reduce the stress level associated with crammed seats and unwelcome policies.

For some reason, the airlines have determined to make their product less and less desirable, year over year. I'm no longer a road warrior, but having experienced lots of air travel when the airlines cared about service, I can't stomach the way they treat me today. I go out of my way to drive when I travel now.

It just took me 7 web pages to check in for my flight tomorrow, navigating a minefield of upgrades, restrictions, luggage bullshit, seat reassignments, optional cc card for drinks etc etc.

Capitalism is by definition inhumane, right?

Gas prices: i guess we are still on the inelastic part of the price/demand curve.
At some point people will start driving a lot less for long enough that it will create downward price pressure. I’m working 1 day remote to reduce my fuel use and have lowered the thermostat 1 degree.

Gas stations: IIRC in part they use replacement cost pricing (kind of like NPV). Haven’t yet tried to negotiate a fuel contract with my corner gas station.

I recently took three trips via commercial airline.

United: treated me very well, but only because I spent a gazillion hours on their long haul international flights and am now branded as a “valiant sufferer” whenever I buy a ticket.

Delta: surprised the lavatories aren’t coin operated.

Southwest: roomier than other airline’s SR’s economy seats. You only pay to board earlier, and seat selection is whatever you can find. Is it more equitable?

John

Gas stations have razor thin margins on gasoline. They make money on their food, lottery tickets and expecially their cigarettes.

And they have to use replacement cost pricing to avoid the risk that they won't have enough cash to refill their tanks.

1. I'm glad my DD is an EV and that Washington State gets most of it's electrical energy from hydro, wind and solar.

2. Last week I flew to Oakland, CA from Bellingham, WA....a 2 hour flight. Allegiant. The cheapest of the cheap. $44 down, $38 back. The Airbus was clean. On time. I have no problem with a low cost, no frills flight...if it's a short one.

After reading this don't know where to begin, so I will just be quiet. I hope to never fly again.

One would think to lower gas tax in times like these to help us out. Oh, forgot the money goes to maintaining our roads..............AAA rep on the news said Americans spend 1.4 billion/year for car repairs due to pot holes......

Dad always said "never take food out of someone's mouth but never let them take food out of yours either". I live by this.

One would think to lower gas tax in times like these to help us out. Oh, forgot the money goes to maintaining our roads..............AAA rep on the news said Americans spend 1.4 billion/year for car repairs due to pot holes......
The federal gas tax has been 18.4 cents/gallon since 1993. It's no wonder those pot holes don't get fixed. However, if we actually taxed gas sufficiently to repair/build roads and bridges, AND eliminated the 20.5 billion the oil companies get in subsidies annually, we'd be paying the same for gas as the rest of the world and voters would be even more unhappy. :(

The federal gas tax has been 18.4 cents/gallon since 1993. It's no wonder those pot holes don't get fixed. However, if we actually taxed gas sufficiently to repair/build roads and bridges, AND eliminated the 20.5 billion the oil companies get in subsidies annually, we'd be paying the same for gas as the rest of the world and voters would be even more unhappy. :(

The federal government has been raiding the highway trust fund to pay for other things for decades now. This is why our roads and bridges are crumbling. Paying more will not get us better roads.

Dad always said "never take food out of someone's mouth but never let them take food out of yours either". I live by this.

Hah, the fuel was just shy of 2,5€/litre over here last weekend, so close to 10€/gallon.
And our roads are full of potholes as well.

The main point of my original post is that consumer protection in the U.S is a farce. Oil companies, Bank Fees, Utility fees, cell phone taxes. Delivery fee, destination fee, recovery fee, sports channel fee, disability fee, line fee, you wanna chose a airline seat so you can sit next to your wife fee.

The main point of my original post is that consumer protection in the U.S is a farce. Oil companies, Bank Fees, Utility fees, cell phone taxes. Delivery fee, destination fee, recovery fee, sports channel fee, disability fee, line fee, you wanna chose a airline seat so you can sit next to your wife fee.
and baggage fees

consumer protection in the U.S is a farce

You seem to be equating “consumer protection” with “protection from excesive capitalism”

I’m not sure the government completely agrees with this. It was my understanding that consumer protection targets fraudulent and unfair sales practices.

Try this on for size.

When Delta tells you there is a fee for everything, are they being dishonest/misleading or just greedy?

I’d say not.

And are Delta’s fees higher for Asians than for Latinos (racial inequiry)? No.

I argue Delta’s greed is only discriminatory on the basis of wealth & cheapskate-ness.

You have my sympathies. Don’t fly Delta anymore. Try SW.

John

Capitalism is by definition inhumane, right?
There are many ways to make a profit and many business strategies within a capitalist model. The strategy choice is sometimes driven by the company culture and its leaders. Japan Airlines was privatized in 1987, it is profitable, it is a pleasure to fly them.

IDK John, when the CEO of NStar makes 12 million while the company says it is too costly to bury the power lines and we all have to buy generators due to multiple yearly outages, that's capitalism but also crap customer service. Thin line between poor customer care and consumer protection.....

Back