Ait Filter Cover Question

71-2800 CS

Reaction score
I just cleaned up my airfilters cover down to the metal. I see a lot of restored coupes that have this cover painted in grey. The inside of my cover appears more greenish-grey. Anyone know the original color? Has anybody restored theirs and found a good color match. I am looking to just buy a spray can at a hardware or auto store and not looking to bring into a shop for an exact match. Thanks.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the dark olive green style and I had it matched at an auto paint store before stripping. They mixed me up a couple cans that match perfectly. If you want I can spray some of the remaining onto paper for you to see if you can match off the shelf or have matched via the computer at the store. PM me if you'd like. All my research including contacting bmw did not turn up a paint code.

jmackro

Reaction score
Books have been written on the correct color for e9 air cleaner assemblies!

I seriously doubt you will find the exact shade in a Rustoleum rattle can at your local Ace Hardware. Search the Forum - some have reported close matches in off-the-shelf paints.

As Stevehose wrote, the correct shade does have some green in it. What you see inside your filter is probably representative.

I had mine powder coated, and matched the inside of my filter as best we could to the greys the coater kept in stock. It looks good, but is not 100% correct.

61porsche

Reaction score
Rattle Can Close

Rustoleum, 7786, smoke grey. ( I just happened to paint something else and that part ended up next to my air cleaner on the bench to dry.)

The engine compartment environment tends to color the air cleaner darker over a little time.

They have come out with a slightly darker grey. If you lined up charcoal grey and smoke grey there's one more between at the Depot.

Or buy yourself a Prevail sprayer, and a couple pints of paint, tint, test, and there you have it. ( A drop or two of blue as you pointed out.)

Good luck.

Take the clips off first and soak them with your favorite cleaning solvent or buy new- really cheap.:-D

71-2800 CS

Reaction score
Airfilter Cover

Thanks everyone. I actually did buy the rustoleum smoke grey this weekend and used it. I didn't have the patience for the exact match and it came out real nice. It is now the most pristine part of my car so I can't complain :-D