Alpina 16" open lug offset REVISITED!

Shawn

Reaction score
Hey board,

Before you rake me over the coals---I tried to search the old posts regarding Alpina offset/tire sizes etc but it seems that the "old posts" (prior to the new site configuration) are not accessible at this time. Maybe Dang can can give us better insight if that will happen.

Anyway I am currently running 14" Alpina open lug with 225/60/14 Michelin Pilot XGT's. I love the set up but have the opportunity to purchase a set of 16" Alpinas and am probably going to take the plunge due to the fact that GOOD 14" rubber is getting harder and harder to source (and the 16"'s look so damn good!! I hope Carl is not reading.).

Just to revisit for the XXXX's time!!

Fronts: 16" X 7" offset et12
Rears: 16" X 8" offset et24 ???? or is it et22?? or either???

Front Tires: 205/55/16

Rear Tires: 225/50/16

Please confirm, make suggestions, or just post your currnet 16" Alpina setup.

Thanks again,

Shawn Hanson
:lol:

Alpina 16"

I believe what you want is:

7x16 with ET11, 205/55/16 for the front
8x16 with ET24, 225/50/16 for the rear

Hope you get a deal on those wheels....

Correct offset for the wheels is ET11 for the 7 x 16 fronts and ET24 for the 8 x 16 rears. I am running the Michelin Pilot Exalto in 205\55\16 front and 225\50\16 rear. I LOVE the setup!

One little thing to note here Shawn, your coupe will ride much firmer with the 16's and all those little CA potholes may feel like much bigger ones, so be prepared for a rougher ride around the streets of El Sobrante!

Cheers,
Ed

74 CS 3.0 Fjord

16" Alpinas

Previous posts are spot on regarding sizes / offsets.

I very recently made this swap - due to looks rather than any performance or handling issue.

They look much nicer, fill the wheelarches better, and I have not noted any drastic change in either ride or handling. Go for it! - you could always change your mind and put the 14's back on in the future.

On the subject of Springs

Are you using the B&G springs that Carl Nelson had made up after ST stopped producing for the e9? I've been looking for less stiff alternatives to the ST and 16" rims I have - due to the effect of severe winters on the patheically few roads we have up here in the "big empty" we call Canada.

TJ is convinced that the B&G are softer but Carl says no different. A comparison of two coupes with the same rim size but different lowering springs would be great. Of course I could be proactive and buy the B&G's and share the findings but that would mean potentially changing springs three times and being left with a spare set so.... uh-uh.

Set-up

I am using the B&G springs from Carl with the ST sway bars front and back. I installed the springs, sway bars, camber plates, and all new suspension rubber last year which I purchased from Carl. I would not describe the ride as soft by any means and would describe it as firm and responsive (with 14" Alpina's). The suspension is still hard enough to loosen fillings with the Northern California potholes that I unsuccessfully navigate. I am anticipating a much firmer (hopefully not too uncomfortable) ride with the 16" rims. I have not compared an equally equipped ST vs. BG springs on the exact same set up. Usually there is a differnce related to varying rim size or varying sway bar size. Just to note: the large ST sway bars front and back changed the handling of the car tremendously and should be installed with any configuration of springs.

Shawn

Set-up

Other than the springs and rim size basically the same as mine.

As a final note, I switched from the Yoko AVS ES 100 (summer high performance) that were on the car to Avon 550 (ultra performance all season) in order to extend the driving season up here in the land of eternal snow. In order to get to drive pavement in Oct/Nov-March/April, I have to get out of my dead flat neighbourhood in frost or packed snow and the Yoko's were like Teflon. Absolutely frightening.

I was hoping the softer sidewalls would have smoothed out the potholes a bit but all they did was disappoint on handling. Big time.

So rim size will have a significant effect on ride (negative) handling (positve) and appearence. Tire choice will effect performance handling (huge) and ride (minimal) and noise (but who can hear it over the wind).

Maaan, I need to find a reasonably-priced set. Is Alpina still seling their overstock ones?

"Reasonably priced" and "Alpina" don't work in the same sentence. Based on what I've seen in the US market in the last few years, anything under $1,000 for a set of staggered 16's is a deal. They sell cheaper in Europe, but most sellers don't want to export.

The overstock wheels were 7x14 and 7x15, no 16" wheels in the bunch.

FYI all, the results of the coupe wheel fitment survey I did a couple years ago are posted on the CS Registry web site in the tech section.

Doug's right, I am convinced the B&Gs are softer, although I may be wrong. For reference, Terry's 74 CS has brand new B&Gs in it and even without interior the thing was DUMPED in the back, with a 1 dot pad. I think I measured it at 24 inches. My car with H&B springs and the same pad were higher than 24 (but I don't recall how much). I had to make additional spacers to get my rear ride height right, but I also have about 100 pounds of battery, amp and subwoofer in the rear that would not be there usually.

This is obviously neither systematic (sorry Scott) nor empirical (sorry Devinder) because free length and spring rate are not necessarily related, especially in the case of progressive springs. I did find it odd how low Terry's car was sitting, even empty as she currently is.

Alpinas

Shawn,

The only thing I can add is that Alpina only made one offset for the 7x16 and 8x16 open lug wheels, but there are other Alpina "copies" out there to watch out for. Like your 14's, the wheels will say Alpina on them.

I'm currently trying to source some 16" four lug Alpinas from my sons 2002 and will probably end up getting them from Germany (used). I'll let you know if I do and how it goes...

Dan

more on BnG and Alpinas

I have the BnG's installed also and must concur with Shawn about the ST sway bars. They should not be overlooked as the stock ones are just not big enough to hold the coupes down, especially with newer rubber. I believe the BnG's are a little softer than the ST springs, but where would one find a set of those? Korman maybe? I am sure if you could find a set you would pay big $$$ for them. The BnG's are a HUGE improvement compared to the 30 year old stock ones that is for sure. :) The size of the pads you use with the springs will also determine the ride height. I have used the standard thick pads top and bottom on the rear and it lowered the coupe a little over an inch and I think it is about right. I used the smallest pad underneath the front springs but opted for the 15mm one on top of them after some trial and error. The smaller pads on top had the tires inside the fender and lowered the coupe about 2 1/4" up front. With the 15MM pad on top it is about 1 1/2" lower and it looks great. BONUS: I get no rubbing!!! (of course I creep into driveways etc...) The newer Alpina's 16"s are available from W&N in Germany and mine were only about $1700 US with all fees shipped to CA. I think that is a pretty reasonable price seeing how people are spending $10K++ PER WHEEL for their Escalades etc..., and in fact in makes me think the W&N Alpina 16"s are a steal at that price. Get em while you can. Have you seen what the folks in Beverly Hills want for a set! YIKES! My coupe has a much stiffer ride now but it is glued to the road. I LIKE IT! I can pretty much DBL any posted curve speed limit and then some. Scares the hell out of my passengers at first but they are all smiles once they understand the car is for real. I have not lost traction once with it on the roads. E9's are a heck of a lot of fun! ENJOY your coupe, drive it fast and often! :D

Cheers,
Ed

74 CS 3.0

I'm good on the springs, but the sway bars are a must-have. Thanks for the heads-up!

Take care,

John
#224 0859

Back