alpina 3 spokes st wheel for 02/e9

pp

Reaction score
hello i am selling an alpina 3 spokes st wheel for 02 and e9 , this is the little model
so may be more for 02 than e9 , leather was redone but not as original ,, price 700 euro
with horn bottom without boss ,, regards for picture please email me regards

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi PP,

Have you had the wheel long. One sold on ebay about two weeks ago with a spoke that had stress marks on it.

This should be a 350mm momo prototipo with Alpina engraved on the middle spoke. I've seen this wheel in person on a member's CSL and thought it looked great!

If you paid to have it recovered i'd like to see the pics as well. It is very difficult to match original momo stitching and leather work. I may recover my momo and would like to find a good company to do it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I question that one as well. I know yours is stacked but momo had three distinct logos right around the production run of our cars. The 380mm prototipo that came on the early CSL's did not have a stacked logo.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
That one on eBay looks to be dated 7-10... long after Alpina stopped making them. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it has the current 'Alpina' logo - the ones from back in the day used a different style.

Back to the OP, I also want to point out that I bought a steering wheel from PP a few years ago and it was exactly as described and I've been very happy with it ever since.

pp

Reaction score
upload_2016-10-31_9-3-47.jpeg

pp

Reaction score
Hi PP,

Have you had the wheel long. One sold on ebay about two weeks ago with a spoke that had stress marks on it.

This should be a 350mm momo prototipo with Alpina engraved on the middle spoke. I've seen this wheel in person on a member's CSL and thought it looked great!

If you paid to have it recovered i'd like to see the pics as well. It is very difficult to match original momo stitching and leather work. I may recover my momo and would like to find a good company to do it.

yes but as i imagined it was damaged and distorted i have to see how repair it :(

pp

Reaction score
That one on eBay looks to be dated 7-10... long after Alpina stopped making them. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it has the current 'Alpina' logo - the ones from back in the day used a different style.

Back to the OP, I also want to point out that I bought a steering wheel from PP a few years ago and it was exactly as described and I've been very happy with it ever since.

tnxxx i describe exactly what i have but it is always very hard to confirm 100% all about old alpina parts,cars or document !!

pp

Reaction score
this alpina st wheel i bought it from yannick 5 years ago ( alpina csl ) ,, regards

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gorgeous wheel! Good job on the recover. The spokes look proper. The stitch isn't "correct" but as mentioned it is nearly impossoble for others to replicate. My recovered Alpina wheel has the same stitch. The whee looks great.

The silver ringed horn button in the pics is period correct. I found mine by convincing a seller to split it from his ebay auction and sell it outright for $150. Is the button that you will include genuine Alpina ($80 - $100 new)? If so is it period correct? Thanks!

Last edited:

pp

Reaction score
dear as i mentionned i keep the horn bottom and the one i give is the one without chrom ring , for the period i don't know realy i am not so expert to tell you if this is right period !! but i think there
were no more alpina st wheel 3 spokes after 1976 ? i mean on e21 or e24 ,, i had may be 10 of these st wheels and i saw 4 or 5 kinds , even for csl , on which alpina was written not in middle but bottom of
spoke ! and it was realy original !

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
dear as i mentionned i keep the horn bottom and the one i give is the one without chrom ring , for the period i don't know realy i am not so expert to tell you if this is right period !! but i think there
were no more alpina st wheel 3 spokes after 1976 ? i mean on e21 or e24 ,, i had may be 10 of these st wheels and i saw 4 or 5 kinds , even for csl , on which alpina was written not in middle but bottom of
spoke ! and it was realy original !

pp,

A picture of the backside of the center spoke is helpful. A stacked Alpina Prototipo for some reason doesn't command as much money as a standard stacked Prototipo, likely due to it not being applicable to the Porsche market. I think your price is fair, but the deal would be sweeter with a period correct horn button. Understandable if you want to keep it though. I have the 38cm Alpina whele that you mention. It was found on early CSL's and as highlighted below, falls right into the MOMO production range where you saw a non-stacked logo and no dates. Yannick also had this wheel on his Inka B2S. If I had to guess, I would say that your wheel also isn't stacked, and doesn't have a date listed.

Here is what I have discovered about dating MOMO's, sourced mainly from this FerrariChat thread.

First Iteration:
  • MOMO Italy on the back. No Dates

Second Iteration:

• MOMO straight solid font (not hollow) without the PAT. ITALY. No Dates

Third Iteration:

• Stacked MO MO in the back. No dates

Final Iteration:
  • Small MOMO logo in the front for standard MOMO wheels. If pat is displayed, M203340. Note that 1st pat from MOMO was 12707 as can see in the early moretti and early LeMans) Painted letters in front for all models Le Mans, Prototipo, Elite, Monza, Indy, Daytona.
  • Between ~1971 and 1976 no date stamps. So if you have a new logo MOMO with no date, it's from this period. After 1976 you can see manufacturer dates on wheels

pp

Reaction score
nice history i have to check but if i remember mine is written prototipo on back ! but i know i bought from yannick ,,

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
nice history i have to check but if i remember mine is written prototipo on back ! but i know i bought from yannick ,,

Cool. I think the Alpina, Hartge, etc. Wheels willl always be an exception because the logos are on the back.

shanon

Reaction score
alpinainteriormotorpage3copy.jpg
Here's a period pic of the Alpina 2800cs, 1970.
Great info guys, thx for sharing.