Alpina CSL Wheel Wanted

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The time has almost come for me to drive my early carb'd CSL that Mario and his team have been restoring for the last few years. This journey began in Monterrey in 2016 along the PCH when a few of us gathered to celebrate our beloved coupes and a random passerby stopped to chat. Long story short, his friend back home had one he might be interested in selling. The car was rough and I have the pictures and invoices to prove it but the crew at VSR1 has done an amazing job and now it's ready to come home except, I don't have the correct steering wheel. Somewhere along the way before it reached me the wheel was swapped and now I'm on a hunt for the unobtanium. If anyone out there has been holding on to one so that it could be reunited with the right car, please pm me and perhaps we can work something out. Thank you. Benji

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just to be clear you’re looking for the stacked Momo Alpina steering wheel not the leather Petri…

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just to be clear you’re looking for the stacked Momo Alpina steering wheel not the leather Petri…

That is correct. This is for a carb CSL. FWIW, they came in stacked and regular momo logos. The logo is on the back so it is rather irrelevant. Technically speaking, the date of stacked logo best aligns with the date of the 169 carb CSL’s.

1E16D407-1906-4BBA-91A9-196315462C26.jpeg

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you Andrew. I wish we were was headed to Europe with you guys but just not in the cards this year.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats, I saw the car up on the lift at Mario's in June when I was visiting my Allard. Very excited for you!

what wheel does the car have now? A Petri? Or something else?

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It has a Personal on it. I have a Petri on my 2800 that I can use and also have another early Momo that would work except for everyone on this forum! I want this car to be perfect (even the spare is an XWX) and as such there's only one option.

Believe it or not, I have not seen it since it left. With COVID and all it just wasn't easy to get up to see it and now that we're so close, I'm going to wait until it's done.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The monthly FuelFed Cars & Classics in Ft. Lauderdale was Sunday. A 1974 Porsche owner had his car customized to look like a car driven back in the day by a famous driver. His steering wheel was a Momo Prototypo that looks like the wheel for a carb CSL. It was on the car when he bought it 16 years ago. Is this the same wheel that Alpina stamped their name on the lower spoke?

Attachments

• IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3622.jpg
    IMG_3622.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3623.jpg
    IMG_3623.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 76

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The monthly FuelFed Cars & Classics in Ft. Lauderdale was Sunday. A 1974 Porsche owner had his car customized to look like a car driven back in the day by a famous driver. His steering wheel was a Momo Prototypo that looks like the wheel for a carb CSL. It was on the car when he bought it 16 years ago. Is this the same wheel that Alpina stamped their name on the lower spoke?

Different wheel unfortunately. This is a 350mm Prototipo. They are still available new for $250. Same wonderful company, design, and stitch. The leather isn’t nearly as nice as the 60’s to early 80’s wheels.

The momo wheel in need is 380mm. The wheel is quite rare, even in non-alpina form. Any period 380mm momo is rare. The struggle is real! :)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yea, 90% of the early 911s I run with have 350mm Momos
Had one on my old 911 as well. The really hot wheel for the early 911s is the 370mm Prototipo which are hens teeth...