Alpina Wheel Refinish

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally getting close to dropping my rims off to get straightened and refinished. Taking them to Carcone's wheel service north of Toronto. I have obsessed about getting the black area on my rims 2mm outside the recess. I have looked at some photos of what I think are original wheels, and it appears that the line was put on quite sloppily, Mine included. Anyway, not wanting to leave anything to chance I thought I would make the masks up for the paint guy to use. To do this I will consider making them two or so options (It is silly how much time I am putting into their job).

To get the circle lined up I decided that an initial template was required. To get the template I had to make a tool, as I couldn't find a circle cutter locally that made a large hole. I think my design has some good qualities. It is adjustable at both sides for depth of cut. You screw it through the material you want to cut into plywood. Made it up with stuff I had lying around yesterday. A welder certainly has enabled my tool making abilities . Once set up it seems quite accurate. I can make a hole any size with threaded rod.
P1060891.jpg

P1060872.jpg

If anyone needs some adhesive masks for their Alpina refinish, I can send you some.

P1060884.jpg

P1060885.jpg

P1060888.jpg

Once I have the centre hole as I want it, I will make some adhesive masks they can cover the centre section with if they want to put Black on first.

Here is my Bonneville Salt flats E9 hub cap if anyone wants to reproduce this look.

P1060897.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wheel gets painted first then center gets painted black. I know we have had much discussion and debate on the limit of the black paint but I think it just looks a lot cleaner at the very edge. And you all know what a purist I am!

:)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wheel gets painted first then center gets painted black. I know we have had much discussion and debate on the limit of the black paint but I think it just looks a lot cleaner at the very edge. And you all know what a purist I am!

:)

I do know you like to get it right Chris. What I like about the paint coming out of the recess is that the wheels look more delicate. Thanks for the info on which colour goes on first.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What material did you make the template out of and how do you seal it against the wheel to prevent paint from leaking past? What brands/color paints did you decide on?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remove the wheel weight. Before painting, clean the inside of the wheel thoroughly then when the wheel is rebalanced, have them put the weight on the inside

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
What material did you make the template out of and how do you seal it against the wheel to prevent paint from leaking past? What brands/color paints did you decide on?

Steve, I made my template out of some artist's mat card. Not sure the painters want to use that, but I will give them the choice. One of my wheels was bent at the Hub, so I am awaiting it's replacement. Hopefully will have the wheels back in about a week or two. I have instructed them to paint them Polaris. I can change my mind if I get a firm suggestion for a shade that is closer to original. I do want them to be accurate.