Alpina Wheels

kfrito789

Reaction score
I am looking for a set of staggered 16" for my coupe. The bigger question is: Why with China next door and a CNC machine on every block, or Ronal for that matter, just build (cast,cut) more? With Originals going for $1200 or more, I see a market for new rims.

...I have thought about this for awhile and have even contacted Foose Wheels for a 16" replica of the 5 spoke Coupe wheel c/w hub cap.

They have dissmissed me as an airhead and not replied.

Foose has a retro "Challenge" wheel based on the Chrysler rally wheels of 60's and '70's, so we know they are prepared to play around with the early ideas.

you think the foose folks are crazy? check this out: i spoke to someone over at KSK (the u.s. distributor for all things alpina). they have begged & begged the folks at alpina germany to license KSK the rights to reproduce the 16" alpina wheels.

under the proposed licensing arrangement, alpina germany would not have to front any manufacturing costs; they would just cash the checks from the licensing fees that KSK sends them. yet alpina germany still steadfastly refuses to grant KSK the license.

alpina germany is essentially turning down free money. figure that one out.

-Adam

Adam, I can see why Alpina wont do it. The market for Alpina wheels is very small at any price. Once KSK has a licence to make the wheels, the prices will drop and leave Alpina with an empty factory, lost employment, lost supply contacts etc. With that in mind, the parent company would also lose a say in quality control and site inspections, which will eventually bring Alpina into disripute(happens all the time)

Personaly, I would not let KSK licence the manufacturing.

just my two cents

I think you could make a 16, 17, and 18 rim to fit large BMW (5x120). That would increase your market. Also, you would not have to talk to Alpina at all. A small change in the look, i.e. wheel center, and I don't think Alpina could come after you.

In addition to the economic costs associated with licensing the Alpina brand/design to an outside party there is the not insignficant damage to the brand. Alpina is a name that's been around for a long time and despite the fact that they don't make lots of products for older generation BMWs, they support new models, a business which I'm sure generates tens of millions of dollars in revenue. Protecting their brand equity is an imperative.

I think you could make a 16, 17, and 18 rim to fit large BMW (5x120). That would increase your market. Also, you would not have to talk to Alpina at all. A small change in the look, i.e. wheel center, and I don't think Alpina could come after you.

It's been done.

Alpina Kopi

19 spokes instead of 20.

Back