Alternator bracket question

gwittman

Reaction score
I recently acquired an alternator bracket as a backup for my recently weld repaired one. My coupe is an early 70 production and it has an aluminum alternator bracket. I bought my 2800CS when it was 10 years old and I doubt the bracket was replaced during that time. The backup bracket I received is made of steel. Is there a timeframe when BMW switched from steel to aluminum or visa versa?

Not a big deal because it should not be more than a couple lbs difference , but I am just curious.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One of mine is aluminum (Malaga) and one is steel but I’ve been know to swap around for the best part and both I have I replated.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
since my coupe had an engine change, i have no idea if mine was right or wrong. since the new engine, i have the newer e28 style

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep in mind- 2 different bore sizes for the top bolt and 2 different opening sizes for the alternator top mount depending on who has been in there....

AL41X
Al45X

gwittman

Reaction score
The steel alternator bracket looks the same as my aluminum one. I have not measured everything to be sure it is exactly the same. I can adapt if the holes are different sizes with bushings or drilling them larger. I just need them to be in the right place.

I was just surprised they came in either steel or aluminum. Thanks for the information so far. Still a mystery to me.