Alternator Needed - Original Spec and Common Replacements not Available (?)

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello fellow e9ers - Have tried the usual sources with no joy for either the original style of external volt reg type alternator as well as the " 45LX and 42 LX " types with the integral voltage regulators, and nothing seems to be available. Autohaus, FCP, Pelican etc. Walloth and Nesch has very expensive offerings and something on ebay that I am suspicious of ( cost too low, no returns allowed).
Any thoughts as to how to replace this previously abundant part ? Have not yet looked into a rebuild of my existing. I do note that the brush assembly may be available. The alternator I now have is the external voltage regulator type, seems to work on a gross bench test ( produces approx 14.5 V, varies a bit at constant rotor speed, with field voltage supplied by a battery) I have not investigated the alternator internals, and suspect that my external voltage regulator is faulty, all wires are ok.

Thanks
Dana, Hartford CT

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We rebuild. Expensive but you do get to drive your car…….

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score

neon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Everyone - Did a home rebuild on the alt - brushes, a bad diode, clean up of carbon and copper, which worked out. Thanks for the help.
Also reset fuel pressure ( had boosted to avoid lean) and redid timing. Then tore around town, first of the season.

Dana