aluminum restoration

kfrito789

Reaction score
What is the best way to restore the aluminum bits on the Coupe? I have a sand blaster that I use with Glass beads to clean the surfaces. Are you guys clear coating or painting (what are you using)? I see the pictures of the final products and they give me inspiration.

germanbodyman

Reaction score
kfrito789 said:
Are you guys clear coating or painting (what are you using)?

If you are going to clearcoat them, make sure you use the right product. I can only recommend Standox Aluminum clearcoat. I think they are the only company I know of that makes clearcoat that can be used on a polished surface. It's some sort of an etching process for the clearcoat to bite into the polished aluminum, otherwise it won't sick well to it and will flake off prematurely.

Martin

kfrito789

Reaction score
I think I should clarify my question. I am try to restore the factory finish on the alumimun engine, transmisson and chassis pieces.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
kfrito789 said:
I think I should clarify my question. I am try to restore the factory finish on the alumimun engine, transmisson and chassis pieces.

As you are probably aware, since clean aluminum oxidizes so quickly, you have to coat it with something.

Parts other than the engine don't seem to get hot enough for paint to be a problem. My past efforts with painted valve covers haven't been particularly long-lived, but there does seem to be a wider range of aluminum paints available.

None of the parts you mention had smooth surfaces originally, so I don't see how a clear coat in a dull surface is going to look very good, but maybe there is something available that isn't shiny?

coupe2go

Reaction score
Do not sandblast the aluminum you just make a big mess. The best way to clean the aluminum at home is to

- Pressure Wash It (remove grease)
- Then use aluminum clearer and a wire brush. Brush it on, let it soak, then brush it until the clearer looks dark. Then remove w/ a CLEAN rag. Repeat as needed.

You will end up w/ a factory finish!!!
-

TomP

Reaction score
coupe2go said:
Do not sandblast the aluminum you just make a big mess. The best way to clean the aluminum at home is to

- Then use aluminum clearer and a wire brush. Brush it on, let it soak, then brush it until the clearer looks dark. Then remove w/ a CLEAN rag. Repeat as needed.

-

Could you recommend an Aluminum clearer?

Tom P

Malc

Reaction score
coupe2go said:

Could you recommend an Aluminum clearer?

Tom P

And clear coat if any
Malc