amazing audi advert

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've watched that one at least ten times. Love the segment in the sand dunes. Excellent sound editing as he goes by the Stone soldiers. Can't believe this guy is still alive, as his regular extreme skiing in the Alps amongst rocks and cliffs is just mind boggling.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That was awesome. Although I wonder how much of it is CG and how much is real footage. The surfing is obviously CG.

@Nicad, do you know who the skier is?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That was awesome. Although I wonder how much of it is CG and how much is real footage. The surfing is obviously CG.

@Nicad, do you know who the skier is?

The skier's name is Candide Thovex. Tons of youtube videos on him with unbelievable jumps . Here is a nice 12 second example
The other french skier who's specialty is skiing the steepest peaks of Europe at very high speed is Jeremie Heitz. If you have the time, grab a coffee, check out this film of him skiing and climbing 15 55 degree slopes over one year. Great aerial cinematography.
http://www.laliste-film.com/

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh wow. That is amazing. I had no idea you could generate enough flotation with just two skis.

But they are towing so the speed becomes a huge part of your flotation. And having Dave Kalama’s blessing makes it legit. That is just nuts.

Super interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok this is just absolutely insane! I've been watching ski/snowboard videos forever but lost touch a few years ago.

RIP Warren Miller btw...

If anyone has skid whistler in May please shoot me a PM. Whistler is closed but Blackcomb is open. My buddy is in from Hawaii and we were thinking of a 2 day power trip up there. We would only be at the tippy top the whole day.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok this is just absolutely insane! I've been watching ski/snowboard videos forever but lost touch a few years ago.

No f’n way! That is just not possible! There is obviously some clever editing but it is hard to imagine that all of these tricks are real. Each one of those would require days of preparation to land correctly.
Unreal... if it is real.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
No f’n way! That is just not possible! There is obviously some clever editing but it is hard to imagine that all of these tricks are real. Each one of those would require days of preparation to land correctly.
Unreal... if it is real.

Careful editing and lots and lots and lots of takes.
While I wouldn’t put it past a car commercial, I don’t think you are going to find a lot of cgi and special effects in these kinds of videos. Special effects don’t go over well.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Careful editing and lots and lots and lots of takes.
While I wouldn’t put it past a car commercial, I don’t think you are going to find a lot of cgi and special effects in these kinds of videos. Special effects don’t go over well.
Yea, you're probably right.
Is that the guy in the Audi ad?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Right. I was asking bc in the ski surfing vid you posted, they were obviously Americans while this guy is French. Maybe the ad uses several skiers...

Oh the water video was different people. The crazy second video I posted is the same guy as the advert.