Amelia Island

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not this year Scott ... hopefully next year with my coupe take some great pix and post them please

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not for me either unfortunately. If Scott promises to take his coupe next year I'll go!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not for me either unfortunately. If Scott promises to take his coupe next year I'll go!
Steve, i honestly believe this is doable. i think my car will finally get paint on it in March. then we start the process of putting it back together.
my goal is to be able to take it to o'fest this year.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll be there in the ????? Will be in the Saturday Cars & Coffee show.
Coming down Thursday and going home Monday.
Got a condo last September with some friends.
Steve will bring ?????? he has choices. Maybe the 635 or the E30 M3.
See you there Andrew. Dirk's going of course.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll be there in the ????? Will be in the Saturday Cars & Coffee show.
Coming down Thursday and going home Monday.
Got a condo last September with some friends.
Steve will bring ?????? he has choices. Maybe the 635 or the E30 M3.
See you there Andrew. Dirk's going of course.

And of course you Scott. Hope to see you.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll be there in the Black on Black E28 M5. One of 30.
I had great hopes to get the coupe ready but too many glitches slowed that down to a crawl at times.
So Sharkfest will be it's official debut for sure.

TodB

Reaction score
I went as a guest of my new neighbor, Brett Sutton, who brought his E21 Alpina. It was a good event at a terrific venue. It was great to see Gary's M5 which is terrific and meet Jim V and see his Bavaria (build chronicled on this forum) which is superb, probably my favorite BMW of the day and certainly one of the best Bavarias I've seen. There was also a nice original paint Hennrot M635 which won an award, an Alpina 2002, and a couple of other notables, maybe 25ish BMWs in total. There was also a nice Polaris CSL which was recently purchased by the current owner. He is in the process of signing up on this forum so hopefully he will share more info on his car. He did tell me he purchased it from Canepa after a 10 year search. Nice car.

Clearly, I've been spoiled living in the Boston area attending the various shows held at the Larz museum, i.e .German car day, Porsche car day ,etc. I thought the cars at those events had a better variety (and certainly more) cars so I was a bit disappointed with the variety and quality of the cars at this event. Frankly, I expected more and better. They also had space to accept and display more cars but did not. I know that they did have a wait list (which I was on) but for some reason, decided not to pack them in. Maybe it was just an off year?

I'd be curious to hear what other attendees thought. All in all, a good event which I will go to next year. I did not attend on Sunday as I had promised to take the bride to the beach :).

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E8595918-D3EF-44CA-82F8-2C708A164EB6.jpeg
F147CD91-CC12-4377-B8CD-4483D8E719A4.jpeg
8702D554-C4D9-474A-95D7-846F0AC00B63.jpeg

Tod, it was great to see you. Florida seems to be treating you well, was nice to catch up in person.

I attended both the Cars & Coffee and the Concours on Sunday.

Saturday was more social with visiting my Florida friends along with many BMW Classic CCA members.

Sunday was a completely different day. I visited with my friends who were showing cars, met the guy who bought my Packard Twelve. There were some incredible Brass & Prewar cars which are my other interests, especially Packards & Bugattis.

A Mercedes 540K Autobahn-Kurier Coupe won Best of Show as well as a Ferrari Testarossa winning to post war Best of Show

Mathew Ivanhoe’s 1937 BMW 328 won its class and was the only BMW in the show.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is not an E9 but an amazing Shark none the less.
My friend Steve Shackleford won the Chairman's Choice award Saturday at the Amelia Island Cars & Coffee. First time this has been awarded.
Now understand this is a cars and coffee with over 400 of Amelia's selection of the best cars they approve to attend this show.
He brought his 1985 M 635 CSI that is Henna. Original car with 80 thousand miles and Alpina wheels. The wheels are the only change I know of on the car.
The unusual color got the judges attention and when they looked closer they realized how significant this car was.
We have a group in Georgia that I started in 2016 called BMW Classics of Georgia. I started it because the local BMW CCA chapter did absolutely nothing for the classic car owner members.

We have so many classic cars in the area with some of the best BMW's on the East Coast.
There are at least 5 or more other cars in our group that could have easily gotten this award.
One of our group had a Baur at the ICON exhibit at the BMW Foundation and now another member now has his 850 CSI 12 Cyl 6 sp at the Foundation for the new show.

So we may not be in the BIG show on Sunday but this car could easily qualify in a few more years and so could many others in our group.
Good testament to the you gotta show up crowd.
Congrats to Steve and his wife Margarette for being such good caretakers of a beautiful BMW.

037A3458.jpg
037A3453.jpg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I went as a guest of my new neighbor, Brett Sutton, who brought his E21 Alpina. It was a good event at a terrific venue. It was great to see Gary's M5 which is terrific and meet Jim V and see his Bavaria (build chronicled on this forum) which is superb, probably my favorite BMW of the day and certainly one of the best Bavarias I've seen. There was also a nice original paint Hennrot M635 which won an award, an Alpina 2002, and a couple of other notables, maybe 25ish BMWs in total. There was also a nice Polaris CSL which was recently purchased by the current owner. He is in the process of signing up on this forum so hopefully he will share more info on his car. He did tell me he purchased it from Canepa after a 10 year search. Nice car.

Clearly, I've been spoiled living in the Boston area attending the various shows held at the Larz museum, i.e .German car day, Porsche car day ,etc. I thought the cars at those events had a better variety (and certainly more) cars so I was a bit disappointed with the variety and quality of the cars at this event. Frankly, I expected more and better. They also had space to accept and display more cars but did not. I know that they did have a wait list (which I was on) but for some reason, decided not to pack them in. Maybe it was just an off year?

I'd be curious to hear what other attendees thought. All in all, a good event which I will go to next year. I did not attend on Sunday as I had promised to take the bride to the beach :).

Tod. I am waiting for some photos to download from my camera so I can post a little story about the 635. I thought the cars on Saturday were pretty darn nice. Yes, the BMW contingent was kind of small and certainly lacking in some areas. Not other coupes except the CSL. Only 1 moded 2002. No other M6's or an 850 or even a really nice E21, E12 or E28? My M5 the only E28 and Bret's Alpina E21 were certainly exceptions.

Amelia has such a history with the best of the best on Sunday and sorry you missed that but there were some absolutely amazing cars on Sunday. A number of Six million dollar Ferrari's. Mercedes 540K, original 427 Cobra, Janice Joplin's Porsche and so many more.

A couple things about Amelia.
You were just 50 miles away.
We drove 375 miles. Had to book a room last September just to be able to stay on the Island. Rooms at the Ritz (host hotel) where a few became available late last week were $1600 a night.
We rented a condo Steve (635 owner) and it had to be for 4 days.
The executive jets were buzzing in and out the airport like bees.

Not an inexpensive trip to the local Cars & Coffee.

Just saying......

There were so many cars on Saturday, I really don't know the actual count but just geographically it had to be 400 or more.

So to me ( I've been to Pepple Beach twice) this is the best show on the East Coast with it's 24 year history.

TodB

Reaction score
Not knocking the cars and coffee event, Gary, I just expected better for some reason. I'm being overly negative I guess. It was great fun and next year, I'll sign up earlier, bring a car, dig out the searsucker and definitely go to the Sunday event which I'm told is spectacular. Looking forward to your pics.

Oh, its more like 70 miles from Saint Augustine...:), soooo convenient which Brett and I chuckled about on the way home. I'll continue to beat the drums to find and get more local cars there for the Saturday event. They are out there....

Virginia brethren and Peter C, I see a house rental in your future next year!