An E9 racing Laguna Seca SCCA Vintage this weekend

shanon

Reaction score
Hey Coupers,

Heads up if your in the Monterey/Laguna Seca are this weekend:
SCCA Vintage races at Laguna Seca this Sat/Sun. My brother will have his flying E9 out flogging it with the Big Bore boys.
I plan to cruise my coupe down for Sunday's final races....spectating this year.

Come on out, SCCA Vintage always a good mixed field, I raced it 2004, total blast, lotsa neat stuff.

Chime in if your up for a caravan from Bay Area/SF........... :roll:

-Essex Bros.

heard about that, word has it (bro's better half a local newsperson) say's rain will show Saturday nite and rain thru Sunday...if not sooner.

Maybe Saturday is the day to spectate suggested my brother... :roll:

Tangent: Our first track experience was at Laguna and it rained after lunch....I spun right off exiting Turn 2, exciting! The coach and I had a laugh and got right back out there.....then only to lose the driver's wiper arm (flew off!) in a later session going into Turn 4......took a while to find it but we did....good times.

All the newer Bimmer owners got a kick seeing an ol' Coupe going for it...I even got a point-by from one or two!

Lessons learned:
1) In the rain, stay off line (greasy) and drive by the seat of yo pants (feel it start slippin')
2) Make sure your E9 wiper arm splines have a good bite and are tight if you put them on high! But then, we're not supposed to drive an E9 in the rain are we... :wink:

-shanon

Shannon
I had 2 spins at T-hill on saturday one exiting 6 and one narley one going into 14 (oil & Coolant on track) luckily I was in the E 30 not the coupe.
One piece of advice I got was always be in 1 gear up from what you would be in the dry.
The other was the 90 degree rule, when your rear end gets loose and gets to 90 degrees straighten you wheel and you wont spin.
All in all had a great day at the track, rain is the great equalizer and you really do learn alot.

Hope this helps

PJ
73 csi 3.2, 5 speed cr, 3.24 lsd, bilstiens, st springs 7/8 staggered 16''weds
87 325is Dinan stage 4 suspension , chipped,4.10 lsd Track car
93 525it Chipped

Still laughing Shanon re the wiper arm, The first time I let the wife use the coupe (both of us very nervous) she only got a couple of km's down the road and the wiper arm came of! she was'nt very happy, called it a peice of old sh#t and has'nt driven it since.
But I'm not really complaining

Back