An old race car

PhilipAdamson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just purchased a 1971 Coupe which has been floating around here as a classic race car for a few years. It's been done up like a CSL - looks quite stunning, I think - but a little research has indicated that the car has been a race car all its life and it ran in Group N in the Macau Touring Car races in the early 1970s.

Does anyone know where I could even BEGIN to find out more information? I've spoken to a mechanic who worked on the car in Hong Kong in the mid 1980's, but he doesn't know anything apart from the fact that it raced in 1972 at Macau and in the Phillipines.

Help?

05f1a612e526d64752842e2b0ac5a25f.jpg

Congradulations on the find!!

Looks like fun and alot like a Grp 2 car that runs out here on the West Coast with one of the vintage clubs.

As for learning its history, I'd start with running the VIN number with Mobile Traditions. They will be able to tell you the model year, original color, dater of Mfg, and its original distributer/location. Its'a a right hand drive car so it may have a British history, South African or ?? wherever they drive/race on the wrong side... :wink: It hasn't been flared so it is likely a privateer's car. Run the Engine block number too, it may give more pcs to the puzzle...

Any log books with the car?? If not, I'd contact the local racing clubs and tracks and start asking questions. You'd be surprised what comes out of the woodwork (pun?) when you take one of these to the track....people will just come up and start telling stories... "I remember that car!"

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings!
-shanon
1970 2800cs
(early Alpina racer clone/homage)

Very, very nice. If you know what racing series (i.e. IMSA) that your car might have raced in you might be able to contact these racing series officials and they might have info on your car. Sometimes they even have guys who are old timers (resident series historians) that have info on cars and their drivers. I doubt if BMW would have any info at all unless the car used to be an original BMW Motorsports car.

What a great car. You're in for a lot of fun and some good racing. Ask the mechanic if he remembers the names of any of the drivers and then try to track them down.

In just a few minutes of internet searching I found:

The first Guia race for touring cars was held in 1972. Macau's Guia Race for touring cars is a particular race for this category, as very few races with these cars are held on street circuits. Since 2005 the race has officially become the final two rounds of FIA World Touring Car Championship.

Also: (ok, so cut and paste didn't work too well but in 1974 a driver named Siu Man Tou came in third driving a 3.0CSL. Maybe yours?)

1974 Flag of Japan Nobuhide Tachi (舘 信秀) Toyota Celica (TA 22) Flag of Germany Herbert Adamczyk Porsche Carrera RS Siu Man Tou BMW 3.0CSL

Anyway, have fun researching. It is exciting and rewarding when the history if your car starts to come together.

Back