And you call that a "Mini"...

tygaboy

Reaction score
Now that my LS 914 is back on the road, I've been using it as my daily. I was at the hardware store the other day and couldn't resist this pic.
We've all seen it so this is just more proof: modern cars have gotten SOOOO big!
Oh, and please, don't get hit by a truck! Yikes...

IMG_5135.JPG

I was in the Porsche Museum a few years ago. In the parking garage there there was a late 60's 911 parked next to a current model. Talk about a David and Goliath moment... I took a picture - but can't find it now. Struck me how large cars have become....

There was a Dutch journalist that noticed more or less the same when they reviewed the new Mini Countryman
To prove their point, they printed an original Mini Cooper on cardboard, side view, front, rear and cut them out.
Essentially making a 1 to 1 paper scale model. The only thing they chopped of was the engine compartment and wheel.

Upon removal of the seats and gear shift, they could fit the entire mini INSIDE a new one....

1650465470047.png

another realization: No wonder why we are using more and more fuel...

Last edited:
There was a Dutch journalist that noticed more or less the same when they reviewed the new Mini Countryman
To prove their point, they printed an original Mini Cooper on cardboard, side view, front, rear and cut them out.
Essentially making a 1 to 1 paper scale model. The only thing they chopped of was the engine compartment and wheel.

Upon removal of the seats and gear shift, they could fit the entire mini INSIDE a new one....

View attachment 139829

another realization: No wonder why we are using more and more fuel...

Let’s be fair!

Let’s be fair!

I'll admit, I owned a modern JCW Mini a while back and it was tons of fun and I felt safe. I love the old mini's but also admit they do scare me safety wise with all the bigger cars/trucks on the road. But I will also say this, I never had more fun than in a 60's mini, I laughed the whole time, mine....I enjoyed it, but didn't literally laugh the whole time at how much fun the 60's Mini was to tool around in. Ripping up all the back roads. Checks and balances I guess, such is life. Then again I started out in go-carts and the 60's mini was as close to a car as the go-cart ever would be. I still have a place in my heart for them. Plus, they store well, not much space needed.

The most fun I've ever had with my clothes on... Though not the most crash worthy. EVERYTHING towers over you...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220317-070703_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220317-070703_Chrome.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 81
And the trucks are so much bigger than they were back in the 80s-90s. I think it started with the Ram back in the 90s.

My good buddy David Eichenbaum is about 6 foot 4 and he and I both fit well into my Giulietta Sprint on classic rallies. He used to have a Fiat Abarth Zagato Double Bubble, and we both fit in that too. There is just no need for vehicles to be so large.

I do love driving a new Mini, though. Rented one in St Barths once. Fun car and a great value.

Back