Another Barn Find

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This story starts around six years ago when my mother told me about an E30 a friend of a friend of hers knew about sitting in a shed at the other end of the island 300km away, (where I've just moved to). She couldn't tell me much about the car other than it was white and looked ok from what her friend had said. I provided my details and thought nothing much more of it. I already had two E30s and a baby on the way. Lola (not the 3.0 CS as that also came later).

Around six months ago the conversation turned to cars with my mother and I asked if she knew what ever happened to the car (whatever model it was) as I was curious. True to form my mother couldn't remember as she'd placed no importance on a conversation about an old BMW six years ago - some people hey?

Anyway, yesterday I had to chair a community meeting for work with some less than happy ratepayers. At the end of the meeting and older woman came up to me and said 'I need to talk to you.' Thinking I was going to get more of an ear bashing I tried to bolt for the door. The lady added, 'oh this isn't about work, this is personal. Don't worry about them.' Perplexed I asked how I could help. The lady asked who my mother was and if I still liked BMW's? 'Yes. Very much' I replied.

Turned out this was the owner of the mystery white E30 from six years ago. Her and her husband were down sizing and wanted to offload a heap of stuff including the car.

Lola and I drove out this morning. Arriving at the house (waterfront mansion) I knew this wasn't your usual barn find situation.Turns out the car is a 1989 318is (the baby M3) and highly desirable.

The car had been parked up for years in their garage with antiques, books and all manner of things piled around it.
Strangely they had kept paying the registration. Car has a small dent in one rear panel that will pop out but still wears all its original paint and the interior is immaculate.

As always the question turned to price. 'Now I know you know your BMW's as I've seen you on that video.' 'Oh no' I thought this is going to hurt as I'm bleeding cash finishing house renovations and will miss this car again.

'I want $2500 as have just renewed the registration. I know I could get more, it's not about money, it needs to go to a good home and be loved.'

Car fired straight up and on account of being registered we drove in convoy the 10km back to my house.

It's now in my garage next to the CS. Promised to take it back when it's tidied up. Bargain I reckon.

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen 35 years ago. Two young children, new house, college teacher's salary. Doctor's widow finally selling her Sahara 2800CS. New Jersey mandated seat belts, she said screw you Garden State. Had a couple of offers but we shared the same mechanic and that clinched the deal for me. I was driving an early Bavaria at the time. I offered the most I could and she said yes!

But the story does not quite end there. It was a Friday, we were going on vacation for two weeks. When we returned I called. Her son answered, I identified myself, and he said you don't know what happened. "The night mother sold you the car she died in her sleep. The title reads G. Gibson, I am George Gibson, she was Gladys. I will meet you at the title place and we will do the sale."

That's how I came to own three other coupes, five Bavaria's, and now, Lilly, our 1976 82,000 miles young 2002. I can thank JMinNJ on this board for her.

I am blessed.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This story starts around six years ago when my mother told me about an E30 a friend of a friend of hers knew about sitting in a shed at the other end of the island 300km away, (where I've just moved to). She couldn't tell me much about the car other than it was white and looked ok from what her friend had said. I provided my details and thought nothing much more of it. I already had two E30s and a baby on the way. Lola (not the 3.0 CS as that also came later).

Around six months ago the conversation turned to cars with my mother and I asked if she knew what ever happened to the car (whatever model it was) as I was curious. True to form my mother couldn't remember as she'd placed no importance on a conversation about an old BMW six years ago - some people hey?

Anyway, yesterday I had to chair a community meeting for work with some less than happy ratepayers. At the end of the meeting and older woman came up to me and said 'I need to talk to you.' Thinking I was going to get more of an ear bashing I tried to bolt for the door. The lady added, 'oh this isn't about work, this is personal. Don't worry about them.' Perplexed I asked how I could help. The lady asked who my mother was and if I still liked BMW's? 'Yes. Very much' I replied.

Turned out this was the owner of the mystery white E30 from six years ago. Her and her husband were down sizing and wanted to offload a heap of stuff including the car.

Lola and I drove out this morning. Arriving at the house (waterfront mansion) I knew this wasn't your usual barn find situation.Turns out the car is a 1989 318is (the baby M3) and highly desirable.

The car had been parked up for years in their garage with antiques, books and all manner of things piled around it.
Strangely they had kept paying the registration. Car has a small dent in one rear panel that will pop out but still wears all its original paint and the interior is immaculate.

As always the question turned to price. 'Now I know you know your BMW's as I've seen you on that video.' 'Oh no' I thought this is going to hurt as I'm bleeding cash finishing house renovations and will miss this car again.

'I want $2500 as have just renewed the registration. I know I could get more, it's not about money, it needs to go to a good home and be loved.'

Car fired straight up and on account of being registered we drove in convoy the 10km back to my house.

It's now in my garage next to the CS. Promised to take it back when it's tidied up. Bargain I reckon.

View attachment 123130

View attachment 123131

View attachment 123132

oh you little fortunate bstrd !!!, a bargain ? that is a steal !
that is first a lovely story, and then a nice car to keep and enjoy
i am envious,
enjoy it as much as you can

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen 35 years ago. Two young children, new house, college teacher's salary. Doctor's widow finally selling her Sahara 2800CS. New Jersey mandated seat belts, she said screw you Garden State. Had a couple of offers but we shared the same mechanic and that clinched the deal for me. I was driving an early Bavaria at the time. I offered the most I could and she said yes!

But the story does not quite end there. It was a Friday, we were going on vacation for two weeks. When we returned I called. Her son answered, I identified myself, and he said you don't know what happened. "The night mother sold you the car she died in her sleep. The title reads G. Gibson, I am George Gibson, she was Gladys. I will meet you at the title place and we will do the sale."

That's how I came to own three other coupes, five Bavaria's, and now, Lilly, our 1976 82,000 miles young 2002. I can thank JMinNJ on this board for her.

I am blessed.

this deserves its own place,
amazing story
how was it possible the lady died the same night !
BTW, that shows you that a deal needs to be completed in the very moment it happens,...just in case