Another engine swap

OZCSi

Reaction score
Hi, am looking at taking out my 3.0 csi engine from my e9 csi and detailing engine bay etc while its out. I have an option on a 1981 euro 3543cc big bore engine with a 5 speed speedo drive getrag attached. Engine is complete and very very sweet having been overhauled by BMW dealer for an insurance claim only 6 months ago. In this configuration, I am often confused by different looking engine intake manifolds etc and heights from the manifold upwards etc. I have heard about the brake booster problems etc and will sort this, but despite every engine swap forum, this exact swap is something i cant find. What can i expect different to my 3.0 in terms of performance etc and the 5 speed is surely a good move isnt it?

I can buy complete engine with gearbox for 1500 and all bolt ons etc, bellhusing, tailshaft for recut and forks etc, basically from fan to diff .

Thoughts anyone....thanks in advance

OZCSi

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, tell me ,why is there some different looking injection intake manifolds, what are the identifiers etc?

Or am I imagining that they are different?

Thanks for any insight

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, tell me ,why is there some different looking injection intake manifolds, what are the identifiers etc?

Or am I imagining that they are different?

Thanks for any insight

The log-style intakes were used in older cars, then the stack type was used on later year models. I want to say 1983+. The main reason for this are the injection system changes. The log manifold is the preferred power option since you can upgrade the runners, but the stack manifold makes a later engine swap generally easier, aside from the aforementioned brake booster issue.

As far as identification goes, the two manifold types are very different. It should be very easy for you to tell which kind I am talking about.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
The differing manifolds correspond to different injection systems. Your 73 CSi has D-Jetronic, the early (non-USA) 635s had L-jetronic and somewhere around 81 or 82, the 6s switched to Motronics. Hopefully, someone else will have a little more specific info.

The engine you are considering is probably L-Jet. In any case, make sure you get the engine wiring harness, ECU (engine control unit) and what ever else is requred to make the engine run.