Antenna Delete

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car is in shop getting painted and I am debating if I should do an antenna delete. Would be interested in input

Thanks Mike

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My car did not have an antenna installed when I bought it. But -when it was apparent that my car would be getting a full up restoration, I was presented with this very question a few years ago. Do I install one? And if so, where?
Don and I had a few talks about this. I came to the conclusion that I really was not going to use the radio much so I did not want to mess with the body for installing an antenna. I did have one installed in the interior under the dash (horizontally - more or less - Chris @ Don's shop did it). The radio is in and works ok. Does everything I want it to.
YMMV as always....

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If ever I paint my car, I plan to delete the antenna (along with the US DOT side lights). Then again, I don't have a radio installed in my car. (I listen to the induction noise from the carburetors when I drive).

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I installed a hidden antenna behind the dash and am happy with the results. It probably doesn't have the best signal strength hiding back there but it works good enough.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And - for radio's on these early generations of BMW's - I believe they were all dealer installed (I know they were for my 2002, and I think the E9's also).
So... Antenna placement and type is a free-for-all (kinda) and why there is so much variation.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If it is for news I would delete the antenna, the radio, and the TV.
Newspaper is fine, for widow cleaning with ammonia and for oil leaks in the garage floor.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car had no antenna installed (Euro). When I did the restoration, I put in a hidden antenna. Gotta search for the sweet spot. Ended up behind the glovebox. Very happy with it.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like some of the others, I removed my antenna when I had the car painted. I listen mainly to one iTunes playlists when I'm driving it.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
I believe the answer to this really lies in personal preference. I recently had my antenna cable replaced as part of several maintenance items including repairing stereo unit function. For the first 3 months of ownership the antenna was always retracted (inoperable), now that it is functional again I actually admire it when deployed and feel it somehow compliments the vehicle in a very period correct way. There is something unique about seeing an antenna telescope out and in that we no longer experience with modern cars.

The irony is I don't listen to terrestrial radio, so most of the audio is either intake and exhaust or streamed via bluetooth with antenna retracted most of the time anyway - but it's a fun trick to "amaze" my 17 yo son. Dad's will be dads..LOL!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe the answer to this really lies in personal preference. I recently had my antenna cable replaced as part of several maintenance items including repairing stereo unit function. For the first 3 months of ownership the antenna was always retracted (inoperable), now that it is functional again I actually admire it when deployed and feel it somehow compliments the vehicle in a very period correct way. There is something unique about seeing an antenna telescope out and in that we no longer experience with modern cars.

The irony is I don't listen to terrestrial radio, so most of the audio is either intake and exhaust or streamed via bluetooth with antenna retracted most of the time anyway - but it's a fun trick to "amaze" my 17 yo son. Dad's will be dads..LOL!
exactly my sentiments

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMG_4867.jpeg
IMG_4866.jpeg
Yes, delete the antenna hole! ( and other holes in the body.)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
You should remember better than I electrically retracting antenna mast was advertised as good for rising up women's skirts

but this is rude and has probably been punished and abandoned

It might bring good or bad memories in the end...