anthracite gray, etc.

psychrunner

Reaction score
My csi is about ready for paint. I had (in my mind) settled on original Polaris. but the resto shop has me thnking of schwarz. i took a look at the codes and saw an anthracite gray listed. Have not seen any pics of this color, that I know of, in the gallery section. Anybody have a pic of this color? Any thoughts on this "big decision" re: paint color?
Thanks
Randy

Randy, with silver being my favorite color on the coupe, I'm kind of partial towards this paint color. All the sexy lines and curves of the coupe just simply flow together better with the silver painted CS.

Personally, I would not recommend changing color from the original paint. Unless you're planning to completely respray the car both inside and out, this includes the exterior, complete interior repaint, the engine bay, and the trunk. Unless you're undergoing a complete restoration of the coupe where every conceivable part is removed from the car, then there is no practical way to access and paint all the various parts of the car, especially all the crannies and crevices of the coupe.

The schwarz color is supposed to be black. How were you shown a anthracite grey paint sample? The paint code of schwarz is 086 and for anthracite grey is a combo of 055/098, I assume there are two different shades of this color. This color info was extracted from the www.bmwcsregistry.org link.

Silver colored cars have become way too common in recent years, from econo boxes to luxury coupes, but your CSi with a gleaming new Polaris silver paint will simply look stunning and will attract admirers with positive comments everywhere you go with this timeless car.

These are just my humble opinions on this matter. Choose whatever colors that suits your fancy Randy, Can't wait to see the finished car.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6
fd14affe0d55896bfec2c77220f2c6fe.jpg

thanks

Bert,
I think my post is confusing. I am wondering about two separate colors - the schwarz and the anthracite gray. Have seen the black in the gallery section, but wondering what the gray looks like. I think your advice is sound - it will entail way too much to do a total color change. Will very likely stick with the polaris.
Thanks

I'm a big fan of black on almost any car, but black coupes just look strange, IMO. Unless you really hate it, Polaris might be the way to go. Keep in mind that dark paint really highlights waves or bumps in your bodywork, while light colors pop out shut lines at doors and hood, etc.

Here is a thread with some pics of and discussion of anthracite. The photos are a bit light, though if you want to see it in the flesh, John Estep Sr., an older gentleman who restores BMWs in Harrisonburg, still has an E3 (I think) in that color. He also painted the E9 in the pics. I can put you in touch with him if interested.

Looks great!

Wow! I really do like that color. Thanks Michael and Bill for the reference.
Hmm. How much more $ to change to Anthracite Gray from original Polaris with the car in primer? i'll check it out.
Thanks

Randy

A freshly painted anthracite grey coupe is a stunning color. Here is a possibility for the color change. Paint the top exposed engine bay surfaces only, removing most of the engine bay ancillary parts especially the radiator will allow most of the engine bay to be painted. Also paint the entire trunk and forget about repraying the interior as all of this area will be covered up. This will become an issue only if you were you sell the car sometime in the future and if the buyer is a fastidious stickler to originality. I would suggest the door interior metal surfaces be painted as well. It gives the car a more finished appearance. Changing color does not entail extra cost, but the partial painting the engine bay and trunk will cost a little extra.

Randy, have you decided on what type of paint system that is going to be used? By this I mean either a single stage paint(same as original paint) or the more modern two stage base and clearcoat system. The base and clearcoat method is recommended simply for it's high shine, color depth and maintenance ease.

Bert

Re Anthracite paint on BMW's

There were quite a number of 2002's painted in A--starting in about 1974 that always looked good--not so many Coupes were done in the color--one of our prior message board members from the Dallas TX area--Bill Marceau--had one--and in the San Diego area was another--all were base coat with clear coat as it is/was a metallic paint.

Thanks again for the feedback. I have asked the resto shop to provide an estimate of extra costs. Bluemax, I'll have to check the 2002 sites for more examples of the color. Bert, I am relatively certain the shop does the two step process with clearcoat. I will certainly check on that.
Randy

Back