Any Garden tractor enthusiasts?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I decided I need a garden tractor to do a specific task.I Know nothing about them. I'm on an island in Ontario and I figure the days I have the strength to shut the place down and haul the heavy items up to the house are moving in the wrong direction. It is a burden. It is a struggle. If I had a small tractor that could scale a slightly bumpy hill (Hard to push the loaded wheelbarrow up steep)
I could get a smallish trailer and drag things like a fridge, propane tank, water bottles, etc. I could also load wood on the wagon and drag it around.
This one caught my eye
Cheap, old, and hopefully easy to maintain. Looks about the right size to me and has ground clearance. If it is geared low enough I am wondering if it could drag a 500 pound item up a small hill. Only about 200 feet, . I also figure it could get me up the hill from the dock when I am pretty darn decrepit. Opinions greatly appreciated.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
don't know "what" you want to do with it exactly , but a 4x4 and hydraulics makes a world of difference .
I always had a mini tractor , first a Kubota , now a 23HP diesel John Deere. Cannot imagine what i should do without one. Mowing grass, building a garage (pic) , moving cars and trailers , hauling heavy things as... engines :D
The front loader is really great for everything.
And amazing what it can do in 4x4 ... compared to when i shut off the front drive , it's very quick spinning the rear wheels ....

serre 151.JPG

SAM_2635.JPG

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a nice machine Barry. What is the model #? My needs are most likely much less. Probably the most common use would be hauling 4 18 litre water bottles up the hill on a regular basis. My wife can't do it and I find I am quite out of breath when I get one up the hill. It would probably see about 1000 meters of "Action" a year.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've had medium size (18-25 hp) John Deer lawn tractors for about 30 years. Current one is a 445 fuel injected all wheel steer model that is 20 years old. I have a 55" mower, a snow blower for the front, and a 10 cubic foot trailer. I do essentially all my own maintenance. Only problem was the in tank fuel pump failed about 10 years ago. These are frequently available used at a much lower price than I paid for all the equipment new 20 years ago.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a cub cadet with front loader and blade in the back, purchased used, not cheap but very reliable and a back saver!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Caution Bob, avoid the temptation to find a used unit, that just "needs a few things", but takes a year to get it up and running and actually available to do some work for you ;)
Last thing I need is another thing needy for spark plugs. I think I have 58 to deal with at the moment if you include the chainsaw and weed whacker.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thing is, I have thought about the same thing. Would be helpful to have a small tractor on site to do a few things, then I researched and thought that I had to have a 1948 Farmall. Very nice "little" tractor, even had a bucket! But thought about it, and next morning I knew, no place to store, needed some work, tires can be difficult to source....all the normal car related weaknesses ... but deep down I knew, (and it was in her eyes) I must simplify and leave more energy and $$$ for the main event! ;) Complete a CAR!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes I think you are correct. I'd get a very small one.
I like that it is a motorcycle based engine.

This is what I’ve been thinking about. You can get a pull-behind med duty bush hog w an engine on the cutter & other implements. Don’t know if a 250 would do it, but I can keep a 4-wheeler stored and running a lot easier than a tractor. I grew up w a Ford 8N that we used 3 times a year. It required various degrees of rigging or service to get it going every time. I don’t want that, and if I’ve got enough covered space to keep a tractor, I’d rather use that for cars.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since I posted this, I became an ATV enthusiast and focused on one model in particular. The Suzuki Quad King or Quad Runner. Air cooled, 270cc motor, 15 speed gearbox with locking diff. Ultra low range gearbox. Very reliable and very well built. I have a 1992 that I got to the island while it was safe over the ice. I was hoping to get the small trailer across while frozen, but looks like I have to do it over water. I have a deposit down on a plastic trailer called a Bush Burro that supposedly floats. It will hold 1000 pounds and is made in Canada with a good reputation for being sufficiently tough. Check out this rig a Swede came up with with a hydraulic pump ...easily powered by that Happy Suzuki motor.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since I posted this, I became an ATV enthusiast and focused on one model in particular. The Suzuki Quad King or Quad Runner. Air cooled, 270cc motor, 15 speed gearbox with locking diff. Ultra low range gearbox. Very reliable and very well built. I have a 1992 that I got to the island while it was safe over the ice. I was hoping to get the small trailer across while frozen, but looks like I have to do it over water. I have a deposit down on a plastic trailer called a Bush Burro that supposedly floats. It will hold 1000 pounds and is made in Canada with a good reputation for being sufficiently tough. Check out this rig a Swede came up with with a hydraulic pump ...easily powered by that Happy Suzuki motor.
This video reminds me of my old sandbox in the back yard. It was full of large orange and black earth movers, and I could make the same sounds the rig in this video is making!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but one of my early restorations in the mid 1980s was this 1938 JD B Model. I also restored the 2 bottom plow, 2 row ground driven corn planter and 2 row integral cultivators. I worked this stuff for real. Grew some sweet corn and the kids and I roadsided it. This was in the Cincinnati area. I've still got a real soft spot for antique farm equipment.

IMG_4068.jpeg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's my eager work mate. 1992 Suzuki 300 Quad Runner. I have the carcass of another for parts. Amazing amount of pulling power in 1st gear with the diffs locked. Going to add a winch and give it a good once over this summer. Looks like about ten days till the ice is gone. I've got wood, I've got Wifi, I've got a dog that wants action!!

Attachments

• Quad on island.jpg
    Quad on island.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 104