Any Members Had Experience With The BMW 502 later known as the 2.6

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As mentioned in a earlier thread in the context of a possible 507 replica a mate and I have been looking at a 502 out here in Aus. We think it's the only one here, and from what I can tell they aren't that common anyway.

The car is a 1961 model (sedan) with a factory four speed and factory front disc brakes, which I understand is a bit unusual.
Car is almost a basket case and initially I wrote it off as all of the chassis rails are toast as are the bases of the pillars and the fenders. You can see in the pics below.
I've now learned this isn't uncommon and there are repair panels available. Unlike an E9 the fenders bolt on so no big deal to swap out. If this were an E9 somebody would probably take it on as complete and original cars are getting very hard to find.

A restoration would be a massive job and I don't think I could maintain the intensity from the CS and CSL restorations but would happily chip away at this once the CSL was back on the road.

There's just something about the car that I keep coming back to. I normally don't go for this style of car but you'd be hard pressed to find an earlier BMW in Australia. If I don't buy it it may get crushed - not that that should be the sole consideration as the car would need to be freighted to Tasmania.
Has anybody on here had experience with these? I'm interested in how available parts are and what we think of values/rarity along with what the market is doing etc. I've done quite a bit of digging around and it seems BMW still sell some parts and you can source many more via ebay.de including some rust repair panels. @sfdon has given me some sage advice but curious what other members think, especially those in Germany as I understand most of these cars never left.

Wes

BMWs-05.jpg

BMWs-14.jpg

BMWs-15.jpg

0.jpg

20200629_165739.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those frame rails are nightmarish.

Local Austin guru, Terry Sayther has a 502. I need to find a picture of it. It’s not for the purist...he’s had it chopped and channeled (widened) and it is now resting on a V12 7 Series. The hood is now a flip front. All the comforts of a 7 Series, with the body of a 502.

It’s in primer at the moment, and he’s looking to have custom glass made for the front and rear windshields.

I occasionally see 502s for sale in Germany. There are several sets of grills on Kleinanzeigen at the moment.

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Those frame rails are nightmarish.

Local Austin guru, Terry Sayther has a 502. I need to find a picture of it. It’s not for the purist...he’s had it chopped and channeled (widened) and it is now resting on a V12 7 Series. The hood is now a flip front. All the comforts of a 7 Series, with the body of a 502.

It’s in primer at the moment, and he’s looking to have custom glass made for the front and rear windshields.

I occasionally see 502s for sale in Germany. There are several sets of grills on Kleinanzeigen at the moment.

Totally agree on the rails. The fact you can buy new ones off the shelf and weld straight in gives me some comfort though.