Any reason NOT to flush the heater core as a simple test?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the engine out. As I am trying to limit the mission creep syndrome, and after having read many horror stories about removing the heater core, I am wondering if there is any reason not to do a simple flush of the heater core by sticking a garden hose to the return pipe (lower one I think) and having it flush out whatever junk might have been in there out of the top pipe. At the very least this should show if there is proper flow in there or if there is a blockage.

Obviously I would only allow low pressure water to get in there so as to not risk damage the core.

Is there something I am missing in that scenario?

Thank you.

I say go for it. In a perfect world you would use DI water but you won't have access to pressurized water. Buy a gallon of white vinegar and fill the heater core
with a diluted mixture a few times.

You can buy a barbed garden hose attachment at home depot. In front of that put a ball valve hose attachment, also available at HD. When you flush, start from the opposite direction of normal flow. If you want, you can flush DI water through it when done.

The heater core in my jeep was clogged for years. I did this process each fall for about five years. I finally changed the heater core this past summer. Pulled the whole dash, etc. Even with modern electronics it was easier than a coupe.

I've not flushed the coupe,or bav heater so don't know if what u are describing is flush or back flush, but I think it's generally backflushing you want?

I've not flushed the coupe,or bav heater so don't know if what u are describing is flush or back flush, but I think it's generally backflushing you want?

Yes. You are correct. Backflushing first to get rid of any possible debris. Then I would want to flush to make sure there is clean unimpended flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a perfect world you would use DI water.

You're confusing distilled water with deionized water (aka DI water). No need for either, the reason you want to fill with distilled water is the heat and evaporation causes mineral deposition. Flushing with hose water won't hurt anything.

You're confusing distilled water with deionized water (aka DI water). No need for either, the reason you want to fill with distilled water is the heat and evaporation causes mineral deposition. Flushing with hose water won't hurt anything.

I meant DI water, but that is the 'perfect world' scenario. :) Anyway, I use a garden hose.

Back