Any Runners on this Board?

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been running for 34 years. I started when I was 16 and really haven't stopped. To me, there is no better stress reliever. No matter how bad my day gets, a good run will completely change my mood.

In anticipation of turning 50, I challenged myself to run every day in 2015. It's weird goal but I thought, why not? With work travel and a spring break vacation back in March, it's been a little tough but, so far, i've made it a full 5 months. I'm averaging 30 miles a week.

Lots of stretching, good warm ups/downs are keeping me in this.

At least, this mid life crisis thing is inexpensive. My BMW habit cost us enough.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used to run a lot and loved it. 3-4 days a week with a 15 mile Sat am run. I overdid it, and now I can't go a half mile without my IT band acting up. So my only advice is to reconsider upping the frequency and distance as you get older. I am 52. If I could I would do shorter runs (say 2-3 miles) 2-3 times a week with intense intervals (say 30 second sprint and 60 sec recovery jog), this works better than long slow distance, gets you in better shape with quicker heart recovery and less wear and tear. As you get older you'll break down eventually. My $.02.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I run for planes when I am late and practice every 6 months seeing if I can still run across the street in case a bus is bearing down on me. To me, running equals torture. I do play badminton 3 times a week, go to Pilates about 3 times a week, ski race in the winters and walk the dog about 6 miles a day (according to my phone).
I do understand the stress release that running provides those who are devoted (or addicted ) to it. I would think you have the right body type and running style to do it long term. Hope you can run well into old age. I am hoping I go out in a Super G at 83 (that would be my 80th consecutive year on snow)

Last edited:

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I don't run regularly, just when I need to train for a race. I ran my first marathon at 62, I've done a couple of half-marathons, I will be running the Y-Race half in October as the returning 60-69 age group winner, but there's some faster guys moving up.

I got a Fitbit tracker last year on my 67th birthday, so it is the main motivator I have. Since July 30, 2014 I've walked 5.6 million steps, 2950 miles and climbed 225,000 feet in elevation.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update:

Mission accomplished! Glad it's over. I managed to run 365 times in 2015, averaging 30 miles a week. Even dropped a few pounds in the process. It was a weird goal but I'm glad I completed it.

Everything went pretty well until mid November - early December. I had a foot issue that almost blew the whole thing. I ended up running through it everyday (not suggesting this to anyone). It cleared up mid month and now is fine.

I'm still running in 2016, but plan on taking a day a week off plus doing some cross training.

Last edited:

gwittman

Reaction score
I ran some when I was much younger in the 1980s. I started hearing about people getting shin splints and other problems so I stopped running. I still did a lot of walking and biking. A few years ago I also started mountain bike riding in addition to road biking. The mountain biking is more fun but I am not sure it is all that good for my health at the rate I crash.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I run. I run a lot. I started running in an effort to lose weight about five years ago. One thing led to another and now I've run 30 marathons and last year (2014 oops) completed the Western States Endurance Run (www.wser.org). Running a 100 mile race is a lot like restoring the coupe. It takes a long time, requires a lot of help from others and is glorious at the finish. Most importantly, once it's over you forget the pain and just remember the good parts.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Started at age 15, never stopped and now 58. No chronic injuries yet. Sadly, runners have become third class citizens. Morons in cars and now bikes.

I would run along the NY Aqueduct which runs from the Catskills to NYC. I would say to myself, I will never let life get so complex that I cannot find a lousy 1/2 hour in the day to run. Have stuck by it. When the fly-by nights pack it in for the winter, I am out there (like an idiot mind you).

I started running with my son when he was 12, he started to kick my ass. Either he was good or I was getting old. Bit of both. He has the bug now. Now if only I could get one of them into cars!

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was 25 miles into a 50k on Saturday when I came across a nice couple with a pair of weimeraners. I stopped to complement the dogs (as a former owner) and asked if I could pet them. They said yes, the second dog disagreed and nearly took my hand off. A lot of blood loss later I walked to the next medic tent and got cleaned up. Finished the last five miles and then went to the ER. No rabies shots for me but also no manual driving for a few weeks.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update:

Mission accomplished! Glad it's over. I managed to run 365 times in 2015, averaging 30 miles a week. Even dropped a few pounds in the process. It was a weird goal but I'm glad I completed it.

Everything went pretty well until mid November - early December. I had a foot issue that almost blew the whole thing. I ended up running through it everyday (not suggesting this to anyone). It cleared up mid month and now is fine.

I'm still running in 2016, but plan on taking a day a week off plus doing some cross training.

Congratulations on that achievement and commitment. You have earned some new shoes now. I have upped my Pilates to 5 classes over 3 days each week. (I am the only Man at my Pilates studio!)