Any Toyota diesel experts?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am considering buying an 88 Toyota FJ70 for my Dad's residence on a relatively remote island. Currently he has been running Suzuki SJ 410's the past 30 years. Typically they used to rust out after about ten years, but the latest ones seem to be holding up better body wise.

The vehicles have very poor crash protection and I find them quite flimsy, but they do hold together pretty well and go over everything you can throw at them. Lack of use has been a problem for these vehicles with fuel systems varnishing up.
There are no competent mechanics when it comes to modern vehicles (that I have met) on this island (in the Bahamas). No one has a wheel balancer, and the parts on hand are very limited with replacements slow to arrive.

Anyway, I am toying with the idea of going with a tougher and better built Toyota FJ-70 or even older FJ-40. Modernity is a turn off. I want minimal electronics and pollution controls.

Another possible choice is a Jeep TJ with either 4 or 6 cylinder and a 5 speed. There are quite good deals to be had shopping in Japan as we brought a 99 Forester with 50K for $2500 a couple of years ago and it has worked out great.

here is the vehicle that has caught my attention
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1008138727

Anyone familiar with these? Do these diesels have much electronics? Finding a convertible FJ70 is not that easy. They also made them in Venezuela so maybe with their imploding economy they can be procured at a good price if one was brave enough to bring money and do business there.

Thanks

Last edited: