Anybody ever seen these wheels?

TimP

Reaction score
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/vintage/product.lasso?prodinc=wheels

I saw a set advertised on Craigslist as "Alpina style" (I missed the "style" the first time ) wheels for $1000. I still wanted to have a look for myself but the set that was in Seattle was sold. He has another set in Portland. Nice fellow, I spoke to him on the phone for a while. Apparently they made 100 sets and they are asking $2000 from the manufacturer which puts them a bit too close to original wheel pricing for me but he had two sets he was selling privately. He had the same last name, Hoffman, so I assume it is his family's business.

CL listing: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/676111674.html

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I'd not pay $2000 for a set of "Alpina style replica" wheels, for a few dollars more, I 'd buy the real Alpinas even though they are very hard to come by. There are a few things that bother me about the wheels. The front wheels protrude out more than I like, probably due to the 16mm offset. Another odd thing, the website describes the rims as 22 spoked wheels and I counted only 20 spokes. Fear of a lawsuit from Alpina perhaps!

Bert
72 3.5 Csi
88 M6

coupe2go

Reaction score
Coupe Wheels

I have the original alpina wheels and bought a set of these vintage reproduction rims about a month ago for my other coupe from the add they have in the roundel.

I compared the 2 very close and found the offset is the same as the original, the only differances are that the
- Extra spokes
- 16 x 7 only (no 16x8)
- Lighter and stronger then the originals

PROS
- They are 100% New, No need to refinish
- The are lighter
- They are stronger (so they say)
- They look better
- They cost less
- They are readlly available (at the time they only made 100 sets)
- The center cap fits alpina or bmw emblem
- They will sell you a 5th spare wheel (curb rash replacement)
- They are hubcentric

CONS
- They do not have 16 x 8

I think the extra spokes gives the wheel a much better look then the originals.

I paid $2000 for the set, because I calculated by the time I get a set off ebay it would cost me $1600, then I would need to fix them for $700, plus shipping them 3 times is around $250. I would be in it over $2k, plus it would take months to complete. Plus CSI wanted $2500 for a set.

If you can get them for $1000 I think you are doing good.

More then happy to answer q's. I will try to take some snap shots and post them when I get back home

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It occurred to me last night that I know the seller. He's the guy who started AutoLoc, a company that makes very good electric lock and electric window retrofit kits. They have expanded their product line in recent years to garner business in traditional hot rod circles and the ricetard... Er, "tuner" crowd.

I can't recall the guy's first name, but he's a BMW enthusiast, he has or used to have a very trick 320i, and he's had some e3's and e9's too. I met him when I was playing more with e3's, he had some parts I was needing.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great feedback coupe2go

Hard to beat Alpina, but I guess the originals wheels where 20+ years old and made with different standards. Seems like there are a lot of pros for these wheel. Too bad they don't make a stagger set. I would think they could become much more popular.

cpeavey

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the attraction of the staggered rims? I would think that the inability to rotate them would be a disadvantage. I have always seen my front tires wear faster on the inside edges even with proper alignment, and I've been able to get more miles out of them by rotating fore & aft.

If it's a matter of compensating for a difference in track between front & rear, or visually filling up the rear wheel well, couldn't you just use spacers on the rears?

Charlie

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks baby!!! Pure and simple. Just as most of us lust for the 2800 CS/3.0 CS and not the almost identical 4 door cousins such as the 3.0S. Sedans.

cpeavey

Reaction score
I meant specifically the wider 8" rim width in the rear, instead of using 16x7" both front & rear. From a distance, can you tell? (Whereas I don't have any trouble distinguishing a coupe from a sedan at a great distance!)

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
cpeavey said:
I meant specifically the wider 8" rim width in the rear, instead of using 16x7" both front & rear. From a distance, can you tell? (Whereas I don't have any trouble distinguishing a coupe from a sedan at a great distance!)

To the uninitiated, probably no but to trained eyes, definitely yes. Those who know coupes can spot (relatively speaking of course, 10 to 20 feet) rim and tire peculiarities such as proper ride height, correct offset, correct tire width (too fat of a tire or too skinny of a tire). Looking at the rear of the CS is more obvious. Due to the rather narrow rear track an 8" rim with the correct 225/50 tires give the coupe a more proper and aggressive stance compared to the what has been described by some as "crab leg liked appearance" of the narrower rims and tires. The front ends of the coupe and sedan look almost identical, it's doubtful anybody can differentiate them from a great distance. Side of the cars, obviously.

Your view on using wheel spacers to widen the rear track is more complicated than it looks and sounds. Most modern cars that use spacers are mounted with lug bolts that can be simply lengthened by using longer bolts. The wheel mounting system of the CS uses nuts that are screw on fixed bolts that are attached from behind the rear axle hubs. Providing that you could find the correct longer bolts then the complete left and rear wheel axles need to be completely removed to disassemble and mount the longer mounting bolts. Also by using spacers that are thicker than 5mm, you'll lose the wheel mounting flanges that protrude from the axle hubs. To retain the wheels being hubcentric, the new spacers must have their own machined flange. If not then your rims and tires will be riding on the wheel mounting bolts and not on the hub creating a very dangerous situation for your car.

When Alpina designed this staggered wheel system back in the late 1970's, their engineering and designs were gleamed from their extensive experience in tuning and modifying Bmw's and also their 15 to 20 years (up to that point) of serious racing for Bmw's in particular the racing CSL's. Wheels are designed mainly to look good and if you are a world renowned company like Alpina which has unmatched engineering prowess then you could also design wheels for perfect wheel/tire dynamics--strength, lightness, handling and braking. These staggered 7" and 8" wheel sets were designed exclusively for the Bmw big coupes of this period, the 6 series and the CS, so the rather small front wheel well areas in conjunction with the suspension setups of these two cars might have also played a part for the narrower front wheels. These Alpina rims were manufactured by Ronal to Alpina design and specs.

What it comes down to is personal preference. Whether you prefer the same size wheels/tires all around or a staggered setup. It's up to you!!!

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

PS. I've a newly reconditioned set of Alpina staggers but they have yet to be mounted on my coupe.