Anybody know a place in S. Diego to have a 3.0 CSI painted

rcncrew

Reaction score
I hate to bring up what I am sure is an old question, but I am trying to find a good place, in the San Diego area, to restore my 1973 CSI. Body work primarily. Paint is further down the road by at least 6 months after. I have owned her since 1993 and have had her dry docked in my garage since early 2001. I hate to see her parked there in her current condition and I was hoping to get back to the "plan" started when I parked her and pulled the motor/tranny out. Her issues are mainly the rockers, floor pans and spare tire well. The inner fenders and shock/strut towers are pretty good actually. The firewall is in very good condition as well.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Look in the links section at the top of the page. bimmerdoc.com is in LaJolla.

I had Carl and co at LaJolla rebuild the back of my CSL (rear qtr panels, rocker panels, etc) and have before and after detail pics of their work if you need to get some confidence in what they can do. The team at laJolla Independent also did a magic job on the motor so highly recommend them for your project.

I've stripped the front end this time and are currently rebuilding what was a well discuised mess under the front qtr panels. It's keeping me busy but am enjoying the hands on stuff. My cars now in NZ so are working with a great guy here.

Bryce

Many thanks to Bryce and gpetrus. I'll see 'bout contacting La Jolla and get some info. If any one else knows of other places or people that are technically good if not easy to deal with, I have no problems working with crusty old salts. 13 years in aerospace left me impervious to cranky people. I am willing to travel as far north as S Barbara.

Bryce, please send a pic or two of the work done for you if you get the chance.

Thnx again,

Painting a CS?--in the San Diego area

You then state that metal work is primarily what you want done--and then paint later--BIG difference from just painting a Coupe!!
After 35 years of Coupe ownership I would offer that there are very few qualified pros for CS metal work and fewer yet who seek or are willing to do just the metalwork. The two pros mentioned are probably the best two that are nearby as to EXPERIENCE with these bodies--both have years of concentrated focus on E-9's.

As to the front fenders being OK I would respect your opinion--but IMHO if you are serious about getting all the metal in top condition I would ask either Carl or Peter for their input on their condition as well.....there is usually damage existing in those areas as well.

thanks

Thank you all once again.
Yes there is a diff from the body work as compared to the paint part of the process. I know fully well that most skilled painters will do a fine job, having known a few (painters/bodymen) in my time so pardon my obscure header line. I value all the info that has been offered. I am focusing my direction in the area of bodywork/sealer/primer at this point. I have allowed myself this amount of time to be abstinate in my duty to this gem of a car but I just don't see the point in trying to finish in a rushed position. I am well versed in the practice of the mechanical side of the process but have yet to decide on a color. I apologize to the purist who believe that they should only be painted as they were from factory but I look forward to her being as I envision, vague as it is, and not the very common color of blue that she is. As it is my plan is to replace the stock motor and go with the set up from a 1987 motor from an automatic e28, motronics and all, and the earlier (5 speed) tranny. Mechanics aside, I look to finding "help" with the dreaded condition that these sweet looking coupes suffer from.

Thanks,

Bodywork

I recommend Peter, he will be doing my car in January. In fact, he is painting one of Carl's coupes as we speak. Check his work at coupeking.com.

Back