Anyone done Dry-Ice cleaning?

agree it looks good, and without the problems that pressure washing brings. There is a shop in my area that does it but it was really expensive when I looked a year or so ago.

I looked at it about a month ago. There is only 1 place that does it in the bay area. I am thinking of doing the 2002 Touring. He said it takes about 10-12 hours. You drop the car off in the morning and you pick it up the next day in the afternoon. Its $1800...which seemed excessive but the results speak for themselves. A lot depends on if the original finishes aren't degraded...otherwise you just end up with immaculate surface rust...

My concern is ending up with a some degree of a polished turd. However, a clean and detailed undercarriage appears to be a critical element of the cars on BAT that sell for a premium.

I've not done it, but a few miles down the road from here is the number 1 seller of old Range Rovers in the US (Car Cave). Chris, who runs the place, likes the process a lot, and was trying to hire somebody to set up in his shop and do it full time.

Looks pretty good for cleaning a car.

I’ve researched it in the Seattle area. Most of the outfits are mobile and I don’t care for the mess.

However, Griots down near you has a setup. I’ll be drop shipping my dogleg to them if the internal inspection checks out (Pete’s Gearshop). Then I can just run down there and pick it up.

I’m looking to have a shiny new Getrag without risk of pushing media into the case.

It’s not the retail shop, it is the services outfit:

It's expensive and I think only appropriate if you have an original car that's been well kept and you wish to keep it that way or like Markos, have a sensitive piece that you can't expose to abrasives. The finish to aluminum is pretty spectacular from what I've seen....

Last edited:
I recently had some parts vapor honed and really like the finish, but there are some bits that I would not want to risk introducing abrasive blast media. Dry ice on the other hand is interesting idea for the transmission. I will look forward to hearing & seeing how yours turns out @Markos!

After you have spent all of the money cleaning your car's undercarriage,where and when do you drive it? I can see keeping it clean to find leaks,but most members here drive their cars to enjoy them.

It is expensive, but results are amazing for aluminum and original painted surfaces. For magnesium, not so much.

I spent $400 to clean the VW T1 engine from our bus and though it mostly looked great, the case stayed dingy. Lesson learned.

I guess I'm confused. You spent about $1800 to clean the bottom of your car and you still drive it? And it doesn't get dirty again when you drive it?

Remove 50 years of grime. Don’t expect it to return in 6 months. I don’t think that you understand the full effect of dry ice blasting an undercarriage. Check out the video below.

I guess I'm confused. You spent about $1800 to clean the bottom of your car and you still drive it? And it doesn't get dirty again when you drive it?
I forget what I paid but yes it is relatively very clean, we are camping this week and when I get home I will post a few pic. We shot great pics of the underside for BaT.

If you have a rust-free (but dirty underside/engine) car, getting it all clean for a BAT sale seems worth it to me.

Back