Anyone have any experience using Rustoleum Enamel?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've heard that Rustoleum enamel works fairly decent when using a spray gun. Anyone here use it? I'm talking about the quart cans you can buy at Home Depot/hardware stores. I'm considering using it for the running boards on my '51 GMC in gloss black so it will be easier for the next owner to touch up, compared to a base-clear.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've heard that Rustoleum enamel works fairly decent when using a spray gun. Anyone here use it? I'm talking about the quart cans you can buy at Home Depot/hardware stores. I'm considering using it for the running boards on my '51 GMC in gloss black so it will be easier for the next owner to touch up, compared to a base-clear.

I used rattle can rustoleum hammered paint on the rock rails of my XJ. It held up to the elements exceptionally well. Not to rocks of course, but I chose this paint specifically so I could touch it up.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems like a rattle can would put it on thin or it would take a lot of coats to build up anything durable. If all goes well I'll spray this weekend and report back how it goes. Youtube university has quite a few videos with comments that are mostly positive so that's encouraging.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems like a rattle can would put it on thin or it would take a lot of coats to build up anything durable. If all goes well I'll spray this weekend and report back how it goes. Youtube university has quite a few videos with comments that are mostly positive so that's encouraging.

When I raffle can stuff I put on about three coats of primer and 4 coats of finish.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used it on the tread of my front door and it has held up very well. I still believe in oil-based paint, though getting impossible to find and quite costly. Anyone use chip guard paint for rocker covers?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sprayed it with 50/50 Acetone in 50deg weather and it came out nice. This is one tack coat and two normal coats.

valve cover.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
excellent!

I've used it under my '02, just brush applied to subframes. Lays very nicely and wears very well.

Looks good in grey. The GMC never had it so nice :)

Ed

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Funny how the brain works, I'm seeing these things everywhere since your earlier post. I sold a Jeep in the early CL days (for OKC). It would take some convincing to do it now. I do get a kick out of the crazy tool prices. A piece of lint with Snap-On taped to it probably asks $100.