Anyone have experience importing a vehicle from Europe to CA?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've read other threads on this forum about it but was kinda inconclusive and had a lot of dead links.

Specifically, I may look into searching for a '97 or older Mercedes G-wagon diesel (smog exempt in CA) and I'm told that the best place to find them is in Europe. Italy and Spain are at the top of the list based on others saying they usually have less rust, or at least less than Germany, but I'd be willing to look anywhere if the hassle factor isn't too high. First I'd have to find someone in Europe willing to help me look, but I don't want to bother anyone until I now how to follow through on the importing side of things.

Anyone import anything from Europe lately? And, does anyone have an old G-wagon diesel laying around they don't want? ;)

Dan

I'm not sure the smog exemption is the only roadblock. I'm definitely no expert but I remember following this BAT auction and learning a few things-

How do I register a NON-USA or "Grey Market" car in California?
Vehicles first sold, or vehicles intended for sale by their manufacturers outside the United States are called NON-USA or "Grey Market" cars. Greymarket cars are typically not able to be used or registered in California. The following information lists the minimum requirements to register a greymarket car in California:
If the Model Year of the vehicle is:
1967 and older:
no modifications and testing are required to register the vehicle in California.
1968 to 1974: California does not recommend the purchase or importation of these years of NON-USA vehicles, even if currently registered in another state. These vehicles require compliance with USEPA requirements in effect on the specific date of 11/15/1972. This provision when written, was considered by the California legislature as a gradual phase-out of very dirty "non-collectable" types of imports, as this specific requirement was understood to become increasingly difficult to meet. Today, this requirement, while not impossible to meet, would require testing expenses and modifications that far exceed most vehicles value and would make little sense from a collectors standpoint to attempt. Some limited exemptions apply to individuals moving to California with vehicles of these years registered in their home state for at least a year before moving to California. Contact us for more information.
1975 and newer BUT greater than 2 years from the date of production: These vehicles require a "Certificate of Conformance" issued by the ARB after a successful laboratory test. This test is administered to the same standards required of new vehicle manufacturers, and for the model year of the vehicle . However, unlike new vehicle manufacturers, as an individual you are not required to meet the full range of additional testing and equipment standards such as On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) requirements, durability testing, low emission fleet averaging, or Zero Emissions Vehicle testing (LEV and ZEV requirements). So while these standards reference what a manufacturer must do, when required by the Direct Import requirements they apply to individuals importing a used motor vehicle. Some limited exemptions apply to individuals moving to California with vehicles of these years registered in their home state for at least a year before moving to California.

Well, all that info basically puts the kibosh on an Italian import. I have a good friend that lives in Nevada about two hours away and even registering it there wouldn't be a good idea. Bummer.

Back