Anyone here play in the stock market?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if someone can explain to me how the "shorts" operate? I've owned some biopharmaceutical stock for years and now their biggest product is going to market. I've heard that the stock is highly manipulated by shorts but since I'm a car guy and not a stock guy I don't know what that means. I could do research and learn about it but I thought I'd post here first.

Anyone?

Dan

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shorting a security is borrowing a security and selling it based on buying it back at at an anticipated discounted price in the future. The difference in the initial sale price and the discounted future price is the profit of such a deal.

Borrow and sell at $100/share, price dives to $75/share, short seller buys back at $75 for a $25/share profit.

If the security rallies, and the price goes up the short seller losses the amount above the borrowed selling price.

Borrow and sell at $100/share, price rises to $110/share the short seller then has to buy back the security at $10 more per share and loses money covering the short position.

Short sellers cover their shorts when the future price is closing in on the original borrow/sell price. At times short covering can lead to a stock rallying as shorts are covered. One can literally lose ones shorts shorting individual stocks.

There are Exchange Traded Funds or ETFs that one can buy into to short a segment of the market or one of the broader indexes.

With any investment there is risk, one has to asses their tolerance of that risk.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Isn't the limited time factor one of the things that makes this really hard?
Your not just betting that the price will go down but that it'll move within a certain time frame.

(I'm not a stock guy)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes but there are certain deals where instituions enable the investor keep the date open but charge interest accordingly.

Isn't the limited time factor one of the things that makes this really hard?
Your not just betting that the price will go down but that it'll move within a certain time frame.

(I'm not a stock guy)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Aaaah, thanks for the great explanation. Its the borrowing part that I didn't understand before but that's what makes selling at a lower price work.

Thanks! I'm hoping the stock price will keep going up at a regular rate and flush out all the short players.

Dan