Anyone interested in trading a navy leather interior for a tan leather one?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A long shot, but just in case...

My car has the navy interior. Perfect door cards, good rear seats, front seat have good bones but need to be refilled and recovered at some point.

I am looking for the same in tan.

Anybody interested in swapping? Best would be someone who is in Southern California so we don't have to do any shipping. Mine is the '74 interior with the passage for the front seatbelts in the rear seats.

Bo

Attachments

• interior 1.jpg
    interior 1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 286
  • interior 2.jpg
    interior 2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 134
  • interior 3.jpg
    interior 3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 119
  • interior 4.jpg
    interior 4.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 126
  • interior 5.jpg
    interior 5.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 115
  • interior 6.jpg
    interior 6.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 112

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo,

good luck on finding 74+ tan door panels in great shape. your blue panels look very good. i know that M5bb (Gary) has been looking for decent tan door panels from any year without much luck for some time ... and the perforated top tan panels ... draw from a much smaller pool.

you might want to start looking for map pockets and door pulls. early e24 door pulls + map pockets work as well as e3 front door pulls.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info Scott.
Out of curiosity why do you recommend to "start search for map pockets and door pulls". Do they come separately on the tan door cards?

FYI, I am not too concerned about the doors panels. I plan on covering them with leather anyway.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Out of curiosity why do you recommend to "start search for map pockets and door pulls". Do they come separately on the tan door cards?

FYI, I am not too concerned about the doors panels. I plan on covering them with leather anyway.

Why not just redo the seats in tan if you are doing the door cards? Check out World Upholstery & Gahh if you haven't.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have indeed. But WorldUph which is supposed to be cheaper still charges $2,500 for front and rear seats. A bit much for my budget right now. So an exchange might be a good step in the right direction without a large cash outlay.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

most times that you find door panels for sale they don't have the door handles or map pockets ... sometimes they do, but many times they aren't in the best of shape. if you are trading like for like ... then you might get decent ones. if you are going to cover the panels with leather - i know where you can get perfect new cards to cover. if you sell your blue cards outright, you will want to remove the metal trims to use on your new panels.

if you decide to sell your door panels outright, drop me a PM and tell me what you want for them ... i am in the process of a color change and i've been waiting for 3+ weeks for a guy to send me a price for his panels ... and i'm about to give up.

scott

readie

Reaction score
try furnitureclinic.co.uk and get a leather recoloring kit.

I changed the color on my saab from black to beige- very very good.....

Attachments

• IMG_20141130_133619.jpg
    IMG_20141130_133619.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20150215_152314.jpg
    IMG_20150215_152314.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 129

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '74 has tan door cards and I was planning on dyeing them black to match the new seats. Happy to trade you for your blue ones. Mine need some love, and one map pocket is missing, but they're a good starting point...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow Readie. This looks fairly amazing. I'm not sure how they manage to take a black color into a light one. That usually does not work unless you dump lots of paint to cover it.

Does the leather still feel like leather after such a drastic color transformation?

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm changing the medium grey leather on my '74 to a medium tan (Mercedes Bamboo). Using dye from Leather Magic. I have everything done except the portion of the seats that are in Dearborn MI for partial new upholstery.

It isn't a quick process, but I've done it with several different changes in Porsche's, and it has always come out well and durable. Previously I've used dye from ColorPlus, but they do not stock the MB Bamboo color, so it would have been about another $100 for the 'custom' color product. Greatest previous change has been dark brown to light grey. I've developed a fairly involved procedure to end up with soft leather and durable re-dyed finish.

Last edited:

readie

Reaction score
in answer to your question bmachine, yes, it still feels like leather and v durable.

basically it involves removing the sealant recoloring and then sealing again, it takes a while to do but very simple.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Readie.

Gary, would you mind describing your method "to end up with soft leather and durable re-dyed finish"?

Thank you.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo,

Thanks for the reminder - somehow I had overlooked your request. I'll post it here for others to find in the future. I've developed this procedure from web site forums for several marques over the past 10 years or so, along with personal discussions with a friend who has a classic car upholstering company. Primary forum was a Ferrari one.

1. Clean the leather thoroughly using a good detergent and wet cloth to get all the old dirt etc. off the leather surface. Do this inside or at least in the shade, and let the leather dry slowly and out of the sun if it gets wet.

2. The critical (and some would say 'scary' step) is to clean all the old 'paint' off the leather surface that is no longer well bonded to the leather or to itself (modern leathers have acrylic paint on the surface rather than dye into the leather). Here you use a cloth (or the blue or white 'Shop Rags' that are on a roll) that is wetted with lacquer thinner (use good hand protection) and rub the surface of the leather. DO THIS OUTSIDE and in the shade!! Continue rubbing with new fresh lacquer thinner and clean 'rag' until VERY LITTLE or no more of the color comes off the leather onto the rag. You now have a VERY clean surface that will be receptive to further treatment.

3. I then use a leather softener (Leatherique, Soffener, Leather Therapy, etc.) to treat the leather and get it as soft as possible (assuming it is not new leather, and is probably somewhat dried out with age). I re-treat it with this softener every 24 hours or so until it seems that no more softener is being absorbed into the leather over another 24 hour period (may take 3-6 treatments).

4. As a final preparation for changing the color (or even refurbishing the same color), I now 'clean the surface' again once or twice with lacquer thinner to remove any of the softener that is on the surface, and prepare the remaining dye with a 'bite' to accept and bond with the soon to be applied leather dye (paint).

5. I have already purchased a good quality leather dye (I usually use dye from Color Plus - who also sells 'Soffener', but recently used dye from Leather Magic. Leather Magic has a LOT of OE dye formulas, so you don't have to pay extra for what other suppliers would term a 'custom color).
I apply the dye much as I do stain to a piece of wood. I use a clean piece of absorbent fabric and rub on a thin coat. After 48 hours or so, I apply another coat. I keep this up until I get a fully uniform color, and in the case of the grey leather in my car referenced above, I changed it to Mercedes Bamboo, and it took about 4- 6 thin applications to get it completely uniform. I then apply one or two additional coats allowing 3-4 days between coats.

6. I allow the leather dye to cure at least a week and usually 2-3 weeks before I put it into use.

This procedure has given me very durable and supple leather on Porsche, Mercedes, and now BMW leather seats/panels. It is quite labor intensive as you can see, but when completed, you have the satisfaction of leather that looks like new and is soft and durable. Also, IF you ever scratch/damage an area, you will have saved some of the 'dye', and can easily touch up the damaged area.

I ordered 2 qts of the MB Bamboo, and that was more than enough to treat all the side panels and the seating surfaces in my 3.0 CS.

Hope this is helpful.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos et al,

I 'sprayed' the first set of seats I did, where I was changing from dark brown to silver grey on a set of Porsche Sport Seats. I used an air brush sprayer and put 3-4 thin coats on it (used Leatherique dye). I was not as satisfied with the result of those seats in terms of durability as I was with the ones where I used the process outlined above.

YMMV - your mileage may vary - Ha.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I dyed rear 6-series seats that I put in my coupe. Works really well, plus I knew they'd never get used. ;-)

Attachments

• IMAG1339.jpg
    IMAG1339.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG1340.jpg
    IMAG1340.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 109