Anyone keen on an immaculate BMW E34 M5?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
For something on the far cheaper side, the Pontiac G8 (aka the Vauxhall Morano, aka the Holden Commodore) is a pretty sweet ride. 6L V8, RWD, 6 speed auto box from the C6 vette and CTS-V, a real LSD, (try getting that in anything from BMW without a M-badge!) and decent handling.

I took one of the things for a test drive and I was quite impressed, especially given how you can get a brand new one for under 25k if you stick to your guns. About 2k in mods later and you are at 400 rwhp NA. The interior room is cavernous, and the trunk could be leased out as an apartment. Plus, it runs on regular. Were I not in grad school, I might have one.

bmwcarl

Reaction score
x_atlas0 said:
For something on the far cheaper side, the Pontiac G8 (aka the Vauxhall Morano, aka the Holden Commodore) is a pretty sweet ride. 6L V8, RWD, 6 speed auto box from the C6 vette and CTS-V, a real LSD, (try getting that in anything from BMW without a M-badge!) and decent handling.

I took one of the things for a test drive and I was quite impressed, especially given how you can get a brand new one for under 25k if you stick to your guns. About 2k in mods later and you are at 400 rwhp NA. The interior room is cavernous, and the trunk could be leased out as an apartment. Plus, it runs on regular. Were I not in grad school, I might have one.

i second this recommendation. on paper this car looks like a real hoot. its worth a test drive at least.

duane_sword

Reaction score
Thank you for the potential connection to a rare source for the M5 Touring.... and I would really like to pursue this... but I have to remind myself that with new baby in the family, and the fact I will need to drive the car year-round here in Boston's lovely winter (and salt) that I need to forget any M car... as much as I want (need) one.... I need to be comfortable that I can wipe off baby puke from the seats and be ok with it, I need to be able to drive the car through the snow/salt and be ok with it, I need to have my fiance drive the car - yes, and be ok with it :)

Perhaps in a few years I will get back to the M-series, when the E46 M3 is the cult classic the E30 M3 is now...

After too many hours on BMW CCA classifieds, Vehix.com, AutoTrader.com and various forums... I feel good about the choice of an E39 540iT... now patience will be required as I want one with relatively low mileage (ie around 50k miles or less but I know that will be hard) example.

so if you see an example for sale that looks like this one... I will be most grateful

00f2d519ea8a1d7c2b110d17a1f5fff2.jpg

p.s I am Australian by birth (don't hold that against me) so I am very familiar with the recommendation of the Holden Monaro/Commodore.... it certainly is a lot of engine/performance for the money... it doesn't immediately appeal, but I haven't scrubbed it off the list.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The thought may be an ananthema, but....
Have you takena close look at the new Hyudai Genesis withthe big V8?
Gobs of speed, space, nicely done and dirt cheap, well about $37,000

duane_sword

Reaction score
Stan - how could you!?

I thought it was sacreligious enough to write about a Jaguar on this forum... and you can see that was a bad experience for me.... so I am squarely back in my BMW stable, and I have settled on the E39 Touring and have a test drive this coming weekend in the E60 535xiT.... I know I said those bad things about Bangle... but the wagon is less offensive to me than the sedan... not sure I will get over the iDrive and the dashboard layout however.

Hyundai, Stan... I think we need a good coupe cruise this season and a few beers together to work out where in your psychology you came up with a Hyundai! :lol:

schnell540

Reaction score
duane_sword said:
.... so I am squarely back in my BMW stable, and I have settled on the E39 Touring and have a test drive this coming weekend in the E60 535xiT.... I know I said those bad things about Bangle... but the wagon is less offensive to me than the sedan... not sure I will get over the iDrive and the dashboard layout however.

Having owned an e34 540i m-sport and e39 540iT with sport everything, I went to the e90 328iT and am much happier. I know one of your requirements is 300hp, but I would consider the 3 series wagon seriously. Especially once they import the diesel.

The e39 had no soul. NONE. It was like driving a Buick, only a little higher quality. The automatic sucked (and you can't get a six speed wagon) and, yes, it is the best handling v8 wagon out there (except an Audi S4?). But that's like saying the best blowjob given by a dead person. I was happy to get rid of the car. All it did well was go fast, eat tires, and blow up plastic cooling system parts. One out of three aint enough for me. If you want anything near an e34 M5, stay away from the e39 wagon.

The 3 series is a little small, but it drives like a car is supposed to. Special order with the stick and all the options you do and don't want and you'll be a lot better off, IMHO.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Well Schnell,

I clearly get that you hated your 540iT, but my experience has been very positive. Other than normal wear items and some damage from winter snow windrows that had turned to ice that ripped the undertray and temp sensor right off, I have had no problems and the odometer reads almost 155,000 miles. It carries any and everything, looks good and is comfortable. We even got over 25 mpg on a trip to Minneapolis this past Thanksgiving with four adults and lots of gear.

Additionally, I have driven Colorado's mountain passes VERY vigorously and while it isn't as taut as my Lotus Esprit Turbo, it does quite well thank you. I have a competition license and while I am no Robert Kubica, I have driven enough different cars at speed to evaluate the difference between a pig and a competent car. I also like the manual shift gate on the automatic...not as good as a six speed I grant you yet pretty useful in the hills. And finally, I am getting about 25-28,000 mile per set of tires. All in all,I'm a happy camper.

Just my .02 for what it's worth. :wink:

schnell540

Reaction score
D B Couper said:
Well Schnell,

I clearly get that you hated your 540iT, but my experience has been very positive. Other than normal wear items and some damage from winter snow windrows that had turned to ice that ripped the undertray and temp sensor right off, I have had no problems and the odometer reads almost 155,000 miles. It carries any and everything, looks good and is comfortable. We even got over 25 mpg on a trip to Minneapolis this past Thanksgiving with four adults and lots of gear.

Additionally, I have driven Colorado's mountain passes VERY vigorously and while it isn't as taut as my Lotus Esprit Turbo, it does quite well thank you. I have a competition license and while I am no Robert Kubica, I have driven enough different cars at speed to evaluate the difference between a pig and a competent car. I also like the manual shift gate on the automatic...not as good as a six speed I grant you yet pretty useful in the hills. And finally, I am getting about 25-28,000 mile per set of tires. All in all,I'm a happy camper.

Just my .02 for what it's worth. :wink:
I'm happy you have enjoyed a car that sounds like, from your description, to be a very nice truck. Or maybe a junior SUV.

In all seriousness, YMMV. I find it to be a car with no verve. Which doesn't mean it's not outrageously fast for a production wagon and that BMW didn't makes it handle as well as it can. It is and they did. It just doesn't float my boat. Any car can go fast nowadays and with tire technology what it is -- well, you get the point. Perhaps you are able to satisfy your sporting driving in the Lotus and on the track with your competitive driving. I certainly prefer my 993 to the 328it for sporting driving (and, alas do not have my competitive license), but I just think BMW can do better and believe they have in every other BMW I have owned, older and newer.

Cheers!

D B Couper

Reaction score
Well said Schnell,

A couple of thoughts:

Remember the mission Duane posed was for a Boston area (have you driven in Boston? The most relentlessly aggressive traffic I can recall) family hauler that was M5 like, not for the best high speed road car and,

Maybe you should change your name to Schnell 993 instead of Schnell 540 if it was so horrible. You wouldn't want to remind yourself of the pain would you? :shock:

pj

Reaction score
i used to own a e34 525it and I loved it , we got it when we had our daughter, it was a great practical car, yeah the stupid sunroofs leaked when you parked at a certain angleand the rear hatch didn't pop up like it was supposed to but it went really well got good fuel economy and was safe.Yet we sold it , yep and for one reason and that was as practical as the wagon is they are a pain in the arse to put babies in and out.We bought a Mercedes ml320 , they are great drive nice ,loads of interior room ,4wd heated seats ,great sounds and a little easier to put the baby seat in. Then we had #2 off went the Ml320 in comes the honda oddesey,
I hated the idea at first but the damn thing is so great for Kids ,is designed for puting kids in and getting them out easily and can do everything a van can. They get 25 mpg around town , 30 on a run ,handle well and are surprisingly quick ( I got a ticket coming back from tahoe at 91mph and the thing was just ticking over). Do yourself a favor and forget about the nice wagon, there will be food and puke and shit all over the nice interior your better half will piss and moan every time she has to put the kid in & out (sometimes 4-5 times a day).Just pay the 25k for the van(to stay cool I call it the Van)and when the kids get out of the kid seats and can get in the car themselves get your wagon.
Cas in point a friend of mine bought a volvo crosscountry wagon when she was pregnant ,loved it had the baby hates the damn thing guess what they are buying , yep a odessey. When you go test drive your wagon take a baby seat with you and see what its like.
Hey before everyone gets on my case ,my wife traded the ml without me knowing but it was the right thing to do. You need to pick your battles

schnell540

Reaction score
D B Couper said:
Well said Schnell,

A couple of thoughts:

Remember the mission Duane posed was for a Boston area (have you driven in Boston? The most relentlessly aggressive traffic I can recall) family hauler that was M5 like, not for the best high speed road car and,

Maybe you should change your name to Schnell 993 instead of Schnell 540 if it was so horrible. You wouldn't want to remind yourself of the pain would you? :shock:

I drove for four years in Boston, albeit 25 years ago, and had a blast there in my first e9 (totaled -- while parked -- by a snow plow) and two 2002s (one stolen!). As for the name, it is after the (long gone) e34 540i M-sport. Still have the email addy, too. On the 2002 and 993 boards I changed my handle to inkatouring and suppose I will be that until that car is gone.

BTW, I liked the e39 for what it was (a big appliance) and have recommended them to several friends. But I was very dissappointed going into it from a car VERY similar to an e34 M5 (the M-sport), hence my comments to Duane.

TodB

Reaction score
MA Driving

Yep, we love driving in the breakdown lane at speed on certain highways in MA. All perfectly legal of course and even at night at certain times depending upon the season. Sometimes makes getting off the highway kinda tricky especially when you've got someone flying up behind you in the breakdown lane. The two outside lanes are usually going faster.

Of course, there is the occasional tire changer who get rear ended and smooshed.