Anyone know these Bilsteins?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I pulled these off the rear of the 73 coupe I just bought. The stamped numbers on each are totally different and the 11 numbers or any permutation of these comes up with nada in RealOem and Bilstein. They do recoil back when compressed but I can compress between both hands. Wondering if I revalve or just buy new. I read somewhere about upside down shocks and assume these are them but no nothing beyond that. IMAG0011.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I assumed upside down cause piston goes to trailing arm rather than tower and I have never seen this before. Just don't know what these are or how to verify they actually are specified for an E9

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have them rebuilt by Bilstein for your Coupe... if you decide not to I'll take them off your hands.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Apparently not Bilsteins, per Bilstein. I ordered a pair of B6's from Shockwarehouse, FYI: they are having a sale and these were 89 each, shipped

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Upside downs were installed by Alpina on their B2S suspension.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bilstein name is stamped on every shock and there is no stamp. Numbers on each shock have no listing in their database. I used brake cleaner to remove all the crap from the body to lok for a stamp and the yellow paint started coming off which does not happen with the real thing.

Rear is all stock from bushings to sway bar......so I didn't drool, not even for a second.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It appears somebody went to the trouble to paint those shocks to look like Bilsteins. Why would someone bother to do that?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well now I am confused, perhaps call Bilstein de. I found a photo of the Alpina shock for the 2002 and it is identical to mine. Also springs have no BMW numbers stamped. They have color markings like BMW does (red in my case) but stamped SRB173.
post-19279-13667642459539_thumb.jpg

Last edited: