Anyone know this BMW race car?

floridabmx

Reaction score
I saw it at Daytona in the infield during the classic 24 I can’t remember who owned it though

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Appears to be someone named Brian Walsh. https://classicmotorsports.com/forum/classic-cars-sale/1971-2002-bmw-vintage-racecar/159110/page1/

Know nothing about race cars. Dual Webers with 12:1 compression & 4 speed. Do they retain the carbs & 4-speed to keep it within a certain class? Looks like they still have electronic/computer fuel & spark controls ? Can you use an external starter to get that much compression moving or is that why there's what appears to be very large alternator? No need to answer, just very interesting.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
More mods moves you up into faster categories.

Starter: most race motors have more cam timing overlap so the static compression is not as high as you might think. OEM starters have no problems cranking them, and often smallish batteries are plenty.

Alt: many run a mini-alternator with smaller pulley to minimize parasitic losses. So go no-alt. But smaller and lighter costs more $.

4speed: as long as car is used on race tracks a CR 4spd with dog engagement rings is likely good enough not to be the bottleneck (it’s the driver...). I don’t know if sanctioning bodies alllow a 5spd. Customize for racing 5 speeds can be pricy ($5k).

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry,
E9: too expensive to make competitive in American style vintage racing due to weight and the cost to build a 350hp M30. Stupid but E9’s are also bit big for my small workshop, Alfa GTV, Giulietta, Elevens/Sevens fit nicely with room to work.