Anyone know this car?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, i know this car, but never saw it. it was for sale in Boston a year ago by Tony Aveni. i believe BFENG looked at it and decided not to buy it - perhaps he can speak to it. i also believe that Tim Wood bought it. the identifying phot is the one showing the steering column with an extra stalk on it - its a cruise control. the coupeking resto was done in the 90's i believe.

pm me if you want any of the pix that i have or information - please include your email if you want pix.

Brent

Reaction score
According to the seller it's a "desirable sunroof delete coupe". LOL

It's not clear whether this car has working A/C or not, as A/C is listed in the equipment, but the photo of the A/C in the car is labeled as "heater/defroster"?

labcars

Reaction score
Thanks

to all who have responded so far. There's always a story, isn't there! LoL. Nor worried as much abour that "desirable" sunroof delete and the manual windows, as I am about mechanicals and body work. I want the car for a specific purpose (Copperstate 1000) and time (possibly resell in may of '12). Thanks to all for any further info. Happy New year to all!!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I saw it and it's a nice car

I saw this car a year ago, and it subsequently went to VSR for a PPI (initiated by the purchaser).

I'd say this car was very close to my ultimate non-CSL E9 in terms of upgrades.
I didn't buy it because it needed some body work to be what I need.

IIRC,
(1) rear bottom of off-side front fender was rusted thru at some point and poorly patched/stuffed with fiberglass/bondo.
(2) few minor details around the rear lower valence (bondo)
(3) A few small bubbles on the driver door lower area (probably another quick patch from the outside rather than addressing the rust properly).
(4) A-pillars looked funny to me (not very straight/smooth). Probably not a major issue, but something I personally would want to address.
(5) Door gaps could be tweaked a teeny bit.
(6) Hood gaps were a bit off (probably a 1 hour fix)
(6) I would want leather, not vinyl seats.
(7) manual front windows.

I loved the practical upgrades done to this car, and I'll bet it drives fabulously.
Overall, it was a very very clean car that clearly had meticulous owners who didn't cut any corners on upkeep.

I thought Tony was asking a very fair price (e.g. not an inflated e-bay price).

John

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
What was the price last year?

Is the current dealer/owner now asking more?

Happy New Year all!

gary bellamy

Reaction score
Re anyone know

That looks like a really nice ride to me. And from what I have been told the Metric Mechanic engine and driveline rebuild would be a big plus
in it's performance. I would like to have them do mine, if only I had
the coin.

Gary
73 Chamonix :sad:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they only paid 11k less than that for it - not sure if they did anything on it. the car was bought 6 months ago in boston for less than 25k

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
I e-mailed the seller and sale is pending. I did not ask what the final "hammer" price was.

If sale price was near the asking price; I would at least expect that the toolkit clamshell be perfect and not be smeared with repair schmutz.

Caveat emptor with the previous restoration.

Last edited:

e9coupe

Reaction score
I know that car it sold for 22k last year. It's a European version from Italy I believe it's fuel injected. Personally I don't like the chrome around the wheels kinda gypsy Mercedes. Also don't like the cold air intake. Just my personal stuff. It's worth 22-25k at most to me.