Anyone know this car?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bavaria for sale--

I have known this car for 10+ years--it may be the most fun to drive E-3 in the country.

It was a ground up--no expense spared literally--that spanned 5 years by the very talented and committed owner whom I know well.

HE WANTS THE CAR BACK AND ASKED ME TO BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR SAME !!!!

jmackro

Reaction score
That black e3 was at Cars & Coffee Irvine yesterday. It is somewhat modified - I recall seeing a stiffener bar across front shock towers, aftermarket air cleaners, aftermarket carburetor linkage, Nardi wheel, and auxilliary gauges where the radio used to be. There are probably more modifications that I didnt see or simply forgot. I'm not criticizing - just pointing out that it isn't "factory stock".

No doubt the builder has all of $16,000 in it. Odd that the ad has no text describing the work done.

Dave L

Reaction score
Yes, I saw it as well...

I also saw it at the Cars and Coffee yesterday in Irvine. Not my cup of tea, but if you are looking or a real driver of a vintage sedan this could be it. I heard that Murray had a hand on that one, so it must be "tastefully" done. Once they pass a certain age I like originality, but if you want one that has a lot of mods already done then here you go.

Dave L

windnsea

Reaction score
I took a good look at this E3 this morning and it's okay, and is said to be a good driver, but not too impressive, at least to me.

Driver's seat does not match the rest of the interior. Door Panels and Rear Seat have been re-done somewhat and stitching does not match the panels or seat. Trunk panels have been dyed to match the interior but are basically shot. Tool Box is cracked to death. No radio.

It does have a 265-5 close ratio gear box, matching numbers, so it's a 3-liter with dual downdraft weber carbs. It is said to not overheat but has only the original configuration 2-row radiator.

Black paint is good, the side chrome has been removed and mount holes filled, rear side markers eliminated at time of painting also. It will be at the So Cal Vintage BMW meet this Saturday at Woodley Park in Van Nuys parked with the other E-3's.

Hope to have mine done by next Spring!

windnsea

Reaction score
Yesterday I got ferried this Bavaria from Ron Perry's shop to the SoCal Vintage BMW meet. Ron had rubbed out most of the paint and the car was reshod with some polished BMW basketweave 16' wheels and fresh rubber. It looked great and won the E3 class award.

It was a hoot to drive as it has a 3.0L engine with dual downdraft webbers and headders. I do not know what cam or compression ratio it has, but it moves quite well and has strong throttle response. Even in 5th gear at 70 mph it pulls quite strong when you step on the throttle.

Handling is quite good - it tracks well, turn-in is immediate, and hats off to BMW's over-40 year old designs!!

Congrats Ron!

RonP

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary. Yes, it's hard to step out of this car as it is so fun to drive! The 16x8 Remotec wheels really made a difference in the appearance of the car. Entertaining all offers. Murray, still have not heard from Chuck! Guess he doesn't want the car back as bad as he implied!