Anyone know this car ?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Full blown race car! Rear wing made out of wood?! I think Ryan needs to spend 45 seconds researching a car he's doing an 11 min video on...

Well that was about the most misinformed CSL video I have ever watched. His enthusiasm still put a smile on my face.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Been told This car is 2211372

One of the original carb CSL cars that left the factory

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

as commented several odd things, look at the front: there are the uneven openings that came post 73
also the vertical openings for bumpers are present

funny: "there is no visor in the passenger side to reduce weight", that is extraordinary...funny ;-)

oh and it is in "great condition", well...

...well this is todays "culture" and knowledge

but we have to thank him for being interested and show the video, not important his intentions (the right or the wrong reasons), but the fact is that he shared it, so good

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did he say "Alpino wheels" at 2:10? Those are really special....

Alpino,...oh that bring memories back to school,...color pencils

1659024472602.png

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score

This car was on BAT. Lots of pics and commentary on this particular example...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This car was on BAT. Lots of pics and commentary on this particular example...

Why ruin such a car with efi and a 5 speed?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
as commented several odd things, look at the front: there are the uneven openings that came post 73

If we start going down the path of measuring the chin vent openings on every CSL, we are going to find a lot of “flawed” cars. That includes other carb CSL’s besides Terry’s. It’s a highly vulnerable area of the car and countless e9’s had the chin replaced.

also the vertical openings for bumpers are present

Just like the carb CSL on the gen 1 CSL brochure?
AFA5094A-BD16-4AA7-9085-98E74025D72A.jpeg

Marc-M

Reaction score
Interesting car with quite a few different features to the UK city packs.

Apart from the obvious things that look like they have been changed out – the hood/ bonnet on the inside has the brackets like the CSI have for the struts that hold the hood in place – is that normal for an aluminium hood – as mine CSL does not have them?

Henrik

Reaction score
My CSL does not have them either. All brackets on my car are riveted and these brackets looks like they are spot welded. I believe spot welding of aluminium was not common at the time, at least not on cars. Itś probably a steel hood.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My CSL does not have them either. All brackets on my car are riveted and these brackets looks like they are spot welded. I believe spot welding of aluminium was not common at the time, at least not on cars. Itś probably a steel hood.

The hood is indeed steel on this car. As mentioned in the original BaT listing. This carb CSL has many many issues to sort out if it were to be true to form.

The car is also not for sale at the moment, and belongs to a well known friend of the BMW community. In my opinion, dissecting a car that is for sale is fair game. Dissecting a fellow enthusiasts car is a discretionary act and everyone’s level discretion seems to vary.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The car is also not for sale at the moment, and belongs to a well known friend of the BMW community. In my opinion, dissecting a car that is for sale is fair game. Dissecting a fellow enthusiasts car is a discretionary act and everyone’s level discretion seems to vary.

I know Terry; we've been friends for many years. I also know this car. @Peter Coomaraswamy also knows this car very well... he has helped repair some of the issues with it. It is what it is. It did not survive life unmolested; these things happen. Terry has tried to make things right when he is able; but he is not opposed to swapping the engine to make it a fun driving, head turning car. At one point he had an S52 in it... it was a riot with that engine!

In any case, it's a cool car, with plenty of curb appeal. They all can't be pristine examples, this one is a driver.

Ed