Are the air cleaner vacuum connections needed?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I capped off my EGR system today and it got me thinking - what is the purpose of the air cleaner connections? Is there any advantage to disconnecting and plugging? The 2 air cleaner vacuum tubes connect via a T to the manifold port on my rear carb, is this correct (I capped the charcoal cannister connection)? My idle drops when I block these so I am curious to hear opinons on this and what is best to do.

If you have the charcoal canister, leave it connected, it will draw fumes from the tank in the trunk. I have no line leading to a carb.

My cannister was connected to the EGR vacuum system, how does this draw fumes from the tank? You have no vacuum lines from your air cleaner - did you cap them? Thanks.

If you have the charcoal canister, leave it connected, it will draw fumes from the tank in the trunk. I have no line leading to a carb.

There are no vacuum lines from my air cleaner except for the one to the canister which is correct. It attaches near the valve cover breather. The only vacuum line from the rear carb (passenger side) should be to the dashpot that slows the throttle return action. I removed mine as it doesn't really do anything. All of my smog junk is removed as well.

If youv'e never had gas odors from the trunk I guess you shouldn't worry about hooking up the charcoal canister. Lots of threads on that topic.

There is another hole in the bottom of my air cleaner and there might be a small unused vacuum fitting as well, I have seen two versions, but they don't need to be capped off. All air is drawn through the air filters anyway. Unused vacuum fittings on the Zeniths are capped with a very short hose with a screw in the end.

Back