Arm rest mounting point

acat2002

Reaction score
Just re-installing door panels with new wood veneers and broke one of the plastic mounting point brackets at the top of the passenger arm rest.
It was brittle (maybe I overtightened, but it was pretty cracked to begin with).

Where would I begin to look for a passenger side arm rest mounting bracket (blue)? Anyone here have a spare they'd sell? or do I go to the usual sources (Lajolla, Coupeking etc.) The one at the very top of the armrest. I've seen the chrome tops listed on eBay from time to time, but never the plastic.

Also, is there a rubber flange or gasket that goes between the plastic bracket and the wood veneer? (looked on Maximillian but couldn't find any good diagrams) It looks like there should be something there and don't remember taking that part out last fall when this project began.

Otherwise, the interior is almost completely together and it's looking great. I'll post some pictures this weekend.

acat2002

Reaction score
Just re-installing door panels with new wood veneers and broke one of the plastic mounting point brackets at the top of the passenger arm rest.
It was brittle (maybe I overtightened, but it was pretty cracked to begin with).

Where would I begin to look for a passenger side arm rest mounting bracket (blue)? Anyone here have a spare they'd sell? or do I go to the usual sources (Lajolla, Coupeking etc.) The one at the very top of the armrest. I've seen the chrome tops listed on eBay from time to time, but never the plastic.

Also, is there a rubber flange or gasket that goes between the plastic bracket and the wood veneer? (looked on Maximillian but couldn't find any good diagrams) It looks like there should be something there and don't remember taking that part out last fall when this project began.

Otherwise, the interior is almost completely together and it's looking great. I'll post some pictures this weekend.

AndyM

Reaction score
Like Bill said, they are now available again, but only in black. I just picked up a pair from La Jolla Independent. Carl had them in stock. The black is not offensive with the blue interior and you hardly notice. Definitely better than a broken piece. As far as a flange or gasket goes, there's a flat plastic piece that is sandwiched between the wood piece and the door mount. You need that as well.

AndyM

Reaction score
Like Bill said, they are now available again, but only in black. I just picked up a pair from La Jolla Independent. Carl had them in stock. The black is not offensive with the blue interior and you hardly notice. Definitely better than a broken piece. As far as a flange or gasket goes, there's a flat plastic piece that is sandwiched between the wood piece and the door mount. You need that as well.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
black and blue...

...And you can always vinyl paint/dye the part blue. There are probably better vendors, but I'm pretty sure World Upholstery has cans in proper blue for about $18. I'm experimenting with a can of their Cardinal Red currently over tan armrest. We'll see...Good luck Dave V. in NC

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
black and blue...

...And you can always vinyl paint/dye the part blue. There are probably better vendors, but I'm pretty sure World Upholstery has cans in proper blue for about $18. I'm experimenting with a can of their Cardinal Red currently over tan armrest. We'll see...Good luck Dave V. in NC

acat2002

Reaction score
thanks guys, good advice as always.

As all these nickel & dime expenses continue to add to the cost of renovatting the interior I'm constantly reminded that coupe ownership is more about passion than common sense!

A missing screw here, cracked piece of plastic there, missing NLA bits....it's like death by a thousand paper cuts.

It's easy to see spending $10,000+ on a true concours-level interior

acat2002

Reaction score
thanks guys, good advice as always.

As all these nickel & dime expenses continue to add to the cost of renovatting the interior I'm constantly reminded that coupe ownership is more about passion than common sense!

A missing screw here, cracked piece of plastic there, missing NLA bits....it's like death by a thousand paper cuts.

It's easy to see spending $10,000+ on a true concours-level interior

jmackro

Reaction score
I have decided that my role on the e9 board is to suggest el cheapo fixes. Sure, buying a new door pull part from LaJolla Independent is the RIGHT way to fix this problem. But, here's another alternative (sorry for the blurry photo - guess I also have an el cheapo camera!):

I fixed my pulls years ago, by cutting down a fender washer to fit inside the triangular space inside the pull. Even if yours hasn't broken, it is a good idea to add one of these washers to spread the load.

To the right of the pull you can see the gasket that goes between the pull and the trim panel. It isn't quite flat - it has a ridge on the inner side. But, a flat piece of rubber would serve.

jmackro

Reaction score
I have decided that my role on the e9 board is to suggest el cheapo fixes. Sure, buying a new door pull part from LaJolla Independent is the RIGHT way to fix this problem. But, here's another alternative (sorry for the blurry photo - guess I also have an el cheapo camera!):

I fixed my pulls years ago, by cutting down a fender washer to fit inside the triangular space inside the pull. Even if yours hasn't broken, it is a good idea to add one of these washers to spread the load.

To the right of the pull you can see the gasket that goes between the pull and the trim panel. It isn't quite flat - it has a ridge on the inner side. But, a flat piece of rubber would serve.

acat2002

Reaction score
jmackro said:
I have decided that my role on the e9 board is to suggest el cheapo fixes.

That is an important role as any!

My "cap" is not nearly as bad as yours and I could probably fix it. However, I'm also missing the plastic gasket, so I may as well find the proper ones.
I'm all for "engineered solutions", but given the fact that these arms rests are front and center in your view all the time, I think I'll try to find new ones before putting my "fabrication hat" on.

acat2002

Reaction score
jmackro said:
I have decided that my role on the e9 board is to suggest el cheapo fixes.

That is an important role as any!

My "cap" is not nearly as bad as yours and I could probably fix it. However, I'm also missing the plastic gasket, so I may as well find the proper ones.
I'm all for "engineered solutions", but given the fact that these arms rests are front and center in your view all the time, I think I'll try to find new ones before putting my "fabrication hat" on.

jmackro

Reaction score
acat2002 said:
given the fact that these arms rests are front and center in your view all the time, I think I'll try to find new ones before putting my "fabrication hat" on.

Andre:

Again, I'm all for doing things the "right" way. But, my fix doesn't show at all, once the chrome plastic cap is mounted.

Even with new plastic parts, it might be prudent to add a washer to beef it up. Clueless passengers have a way of grabbing the upper part of the armrest/door pull, and YANKING the door shut (hey, it's an old car - it must require a good slam).

jmackro

Reaction score
acat2002 said:
given the fact that these arms rests are front and center in your view all the time, I think I'll try to find new ones before putting my "fabrication hat" on.

Andre:

Again, I'm all for doing things the "right" way. But, my fix doesn't show at all, once the chrome plastic cap is mounted.

Even with new plastic parts, it might be prudent to add a washer to beef it up. Clueless passengers have a way of grabbing the upper part of the armrest/door pull, and YANKING the door shut (hey, it's an old car - it must require a good slam).