auto trans leak-the seal or drain plug(do e9's have a plug?

sirshorty

Reaction score
Noticed a trail of tranny fluidon ground as i walked away from coupe today. enough of a puddle under car after an hour to suspect seal or maybe a loose draining plug if these trans even have that.my 2002 did not. if it is a seal i assume that that is a big job and should I consider rebuild once it is open to change seal? Any other ways to stop this like trans seal products? willl have it up in the air tomorrow to see whats up. thanks, shorty :cry:

MMercury

Reaction score
Re: auto trans leak-the seal or drain plug(do e9's have a pl

sirshorty said:
Noticed a trail of tranny fluidon ground as i walked away from coupe today. enough of a puddle under car after an hour to suspect seal or maybe a loose draining plug if these trans even have that.my 2002 did not. if it is a seal i assume that that is a big job and should I consider rebuild once it is open to change seal? Any other ways to stop this like trans seal products? willl have it up in the air tomorrow to see whats up. thanks, shorty :cry:

The answer to at least part of your question could have been resolved quicker than your post by you actually looking under your car to determine if there is a drain plug. I do not have any experience with your vehicle, but it is clear that at least some of the automatics fitted to E9's had drain plugs. Here is an example: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=7022&mospid=47806&btnr=24_0866&hg=24&fg=15

You state your 2002 "did not" have a drain plug. Did you actually look for one? Of the very few 02 automatics I can remember seeing, they all had drain plugs. Here is an example: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2225&mospid=47140&btnr=24_0837&hg=24&fg=15

Given your confusion, before resorting to a fix that may or may not even be related to the puddle found under your vehicle, I would consider getting someone to put your car on a lift to look more closely at things.

Could it be that someone spilled trans fluid over the dipstick/fill tube? Could it be the dip stick tube is loose in its mounting?
Could it be that a cooling line is loose or broken?
Could it be that you have confused a power steering leak with a transmission leak?
Could it be that you have a different leak entirely? Engine Oil? Coolant? Air Conditioning condensation?

You, or someone who can personally examine your car, are in the best position to answer many of the threshold questions. Taking and posting pictures is a close second, but a picture is not particularly definitive if the issue is a loose sealing washer. Your question is fairly generic and I would think most general mechanics as well as transmission repair shops would be well equipped to determine the source of a leak. Fixing it is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Good luck.