Back to Black product experiment on dash

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If it isn't already common knowledge, I wouldn't recommend giving your plastic dash a treatment of "Back to Black".
I scrubbed with general purpose cleaner first then rubbed in this product.
It certainly covers faded black well but comes out a bit too shiny.
In picture you'll see the top dash piece on left has the product applied, while the grab bar on right retains original clean but faded surface.
PXL_20240912_000220268.jpg

very often these products contain silicone (at least here in the EU); that silicone is what gives it it's shine and does so quite effectively; it doesn't fade or wear off.
But it does make everything that you touch years after unpaintable.....

you should be able to clean it off with SEM Soap and SEM Vinyl Prep ... it removes most anything to prepare the surface for the use of SEM Color Coat. since your dash is out of the car, i would clean it and paint it with color coat (satin black or landau black) ... there is also a satin gloss clear and a gloss clear if you want more sheen on the finish.

you should be able to clean it off with SEM Soap and SEM Vinyl Prep ... it removes most anything to prepare the surface for the use of SEM Color Coat. since your dash is out of the car, i would clean it and paint it with color coat (satin black or landau black) ... there is also a satin gloss clear and a gloss clear if you want more sheen on the finish.
I have some SEM vinyl prep left over from the last job, thanks!

Rick, surprised the black dye doesn't wipe off. i tried that years ago with Leatherique black ... and it didn't stick. i ended up painting with color coat when the dash came out.

I went to my auto paint supply guy with the grab bar. He loves a challenge. Made up a custom SEM to match and put it in a bottle with a foam applicator.

Scott, no it does not come off I use a true leather dye from a local leather shop

Thanks, Rick
there are several types of leather dye, one type absorbs into the leather ... which it cannot do with vinyl, and other types that are more like a stain / paint that sits on top and coats the surface. anyone buying one needs to know what type they buy. Leatherique, for instance, is the type that absorbs into the leather

I find "Back to black" useful for black exterior trim that loses color due to wax accumulation.
For interior I have traditionally used Armor All, which is not perfect either...

my favorite for interior trim is Vinylex - made by lexol. i also use Sonax dashboard cleaner before the vinylex

armorall tends to off-gas and create a film on the inside of the windshield.

Last edited:
Back