Baseline Dyno Numbers

AndyM

Reaction score
I finally got some real baseline dyno numbers today on my 3.5L running the GM-based Frankenjection. We did three pulls and the best numbers were 191 HP @ 5300 rpm and 213 ft/lb of torque at 3500 rpm at the rear wheels. This is roughly 225 hp and 250 ft/lb at the crank. The torque curve was nice and flat and stayed in that range until about 5000 rpm. Not too bad considering the stock 3.0 CSi is roughly 200 bhp and 200 ft/lb.

So now I have a baseline for tuning. It was leaning out a little above 3500 rpm, but still no detonation, so I should be able to add some more timing on the top end once I fatten up the fuel curve. I'm betting I can squeeze another 10-15 hp out of it. I'm going to play around with it and see what I can get it up to. I would be very pleased to end up in the 200-205 hp range at the rear wheels. I'll keep you guys posted.

BTW, it was really cool watching the car rev up to 5500 rpm and doing the equivalent of 120 mph on the dyno! I had no idea it was so loud at wide-open throttle.

.....wild isn't it!!

I recently had my first Dyno experience in the coupe also.
I don't think my sphincter had ever been so tight. They had me back it on the lift, raised me up, tied her down and said roll it up to 6k in 4th gear (OK?!) I praid my fresh carb rebuild and tinkering would hold on a motor that hadn't seen that RPM in years....... :shock:

Thankfully nothing let go, got proud of the ol' girl and my handy work and of course made some 'discoveries' about the ol' 2.8L motor as the smoke cleared... :wink:

....can't wait til the new one goes in :twisted:

-shanon

Back