Bat auctions....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i see here many Bat auctions.... but have my doubts.
Selling a car , can i have a "friend" bidding up to raise the "crowd " spending ? and what does it cost me to Bat if i'm stuck in the end with my friend's winning bid ? :)
I see many deals done don't go ahead as the bidder has $$$ problems..... yeah.

I'm just wondering , will sure never post a car on Bat......

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
my "friend" will never bid on any car further on Bat.... not any intention :D
and credit card info.... no problem.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i see here many Bat auctions.... but have my doubts.
Selling a car , can i have a "friend" bidding up to raise the "crowd " spending ? and what does it cost me to Bat if i'm stuck in the end with my friend's winning bid ? :)
I see many deals done don't go ahead as the bidder has $$$ problems..... yeah.

I'm just wondering , will sure never post a car on Bat......
It would cost your friend's BaT buyer commission which is 5%. BaT hits your CC as soon as you make a bid. If you are the high bidder, BaT collects this amount whether you end up actually buying the car or not.

What you are describing does happen all the time with car auctions on eBay since there is no penalty for doing so. It may happen on BaT, but I would think seldom.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Thanks, that's a real answer ... so , 5 %.
Let us say , beneath 50k...100k it's worth the risk ? or even up.... all is relative.... o_O

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's another reason why they don't like reserve auctions. With a reserve all kinds of games can be played, but in the end it doesn't really matter. I bid on cars every day and I could care less if the seller is bidding me up. I only bid what I'm willing to pay.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes, what you are willing to pay.
But i gather , many , bid above there limit as they "want" it so bad.... bidding against a ghost.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is not unusual with reserve auctions for the seller to have others jack up the price.
The other day I was bidding on eBay and someone used Sniper or similar app to buy at the last second for 1 cent over my price.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone been to a B~J@ck or Me<@m auction?
Full shenanigans are in play there with all their dealer-network friends helping raise bids on each other’s cars for top dollar to some unknowing ‘fresh meat’ rube.
BJ’s go-to move for squeezing more money from a whale is known as ‘The Chandelier Bid’

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone been to a B~J@ck or Me<@m auction?
Full shenanigans are in play there with all their dealer-network friends helping raise bids on each other’s cars for top dollar to some unknowing ‘fresh meat’ rube.
BJ’s go-to move for squeezing more money from a whale is known as ‘The Chandelier Bid’
BJs is a learning experience and a fun event. Just like BaT it is a place to sell and not a place to buy. However, occationally there are a few good buys at BJs.

boonies

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have never been to BJ’s, but would love to do it someday…seems like the best deals are earlier in the week, but you really can’t tell if they are clean enough from what is shown on TV.

I did bid on an e9 on BaT when I was first searching. It was near me, and I was able to drive about an hour to go take a look. It was nice, but it had needs and it went for a lot more than I was willing to pay. I think I bid to about $45 and it went for about $53k. More than I was willing to spend given the needs of that car. It was for sale on eBay a few weeks later, perhaps the buyer was less than thrilled or they were flipping to make a buck (I don’t recall their asking price), but I was in discussions for the car I have now and was having it inspected so I didn’t look further.

No matter how you buy, go and look at the car or call a friend or pay a reputable guy to do the inspection for you. Definitely don’t want any surprises when the car is delivered.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you know your friend’s reserve price, I think you can bid it up to just below the reserve and it costs you nothing
I normally don't bid on non-insurance vehicles because of what you said. One of the few times I did I was second highest bidder and Copart called me and said they've had problems with the high bidder in the past and wondered if I would like to buy the car at my bid price. First off, that's a lame excuse and proves it was bogus, so I said sure, take all of that bidders bids off the table so I'm competing with the next highest bidder and I might be interested. They declined. Shocker.