BAT tips for a car located in Canada

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would like to try listing my 1999 Miata 10th Anniversary on Bring a Trailer. Even though Canadian cars get less interested bidders, I feel it has some positives to smooth the transaction and I would like to see what the market brings. First off, it will be completely up to date service wise with new tires, fluids and replacement factory top, and is in excellent conditiion at 32,000 miles. Another bonus is that it was originally a US spec car that I bought in Dallas for those concerned with it not meeting import standards. I have a friend who is an excellent photgrapher with the right gear to do the photography. Just wondering if there is any way to export it to the US before I even list it? I can't think of a way off hand as I do not have an address there. general BAT tips appreciated.
tempImageuCQFEy.png

My buddy worked at a Mazda dealer when this car came out. It sat in it and made engine noises for longer than I care to admit. :D

Canadian cars get less interest on BAT because of the unknowns of importing a car to the US from Canada. If you run it on BAT and haven't found a way to import it beforehand, spell out VERY clearly in your listing the process and average costs of getting it into the US. List reputable brokers that specialize in importing cars of this vintage so that potential buyers can get their own quotes.

It is further complicated by the fact that every one of our states has different smog laws, inspection laws, equipment laws, and title and registration laws. This is something you can't help potential buyers with, but it does make a lot of buyers "gun shy" about buying even an out of state older car.

The BAT peanut gallery are generally lazy punks (apologies to all here who post on BAT). Perhaps it’s due to the modern smart phone age where people want simple answers in seconds, and not have to do any work to educate themselves.

I imported a car from Canada and all
the documentation and the whole process took me perhaps as long as 1 hour to figure out. The import itself was a breeze (Buffalo NY crossing).

Here is a link to a good discussion about others and their experiences. It should be easy to put together a “paint by numbers” set of instructions from these posts. Note: this is specific to re-importation. Suggest you do this and offer it to serious bidders via “contact seller.”

The process to import a non-USA car into the USA is different, but if it’s old enough it’s also pretty straightforward.

Last edited:

A good friend's experience
Thanks Scott, interesting Journey. I enjoy combining a trip with a vehicle purchase. Makes it primal... like a hunting expedition. So far I have driven 1,000 miles round trip twice to buy $1,200 motorcycles. Went to Dallas for my Miata and Idaho for my Coupe.

Well that took forever to get listed, but the auction just went live and a first bid of $666 was registered.

Well, that was a lot of time and mental effort to get this car to BAT and then see it languish in the bids . Bought the damn Seiko watches on Ebay.UK at considerable expense, figuring the gift pack the car originally came with was going to be crucial in pushing it over the top. Fixed up and polished a lot of small details, bought new tires and brakes just thinking it would make it more desirable. The old ones were still "Serviceable" While cleaning the engine I blew the car's second coil pack when water filled up one the spark plug cavities and popped the coil when I had the car under load trying to get it up on ramps. More dollars. Spent a lot of time taking shots in a few locations with light I found appealing. Fixed some trim in the interior (Saggy glovebox, broken arm rest latch). Repainted the lower front spoiler. Bought a few missing trim bits frrom Mazda, including new seat bolts. Changed brake fluid again as well as a new clutch slave cylinder. Made a couple of videos.

If I had just pulled the car out of storage in May and put it on Kijiji as is, pretty sure I would have beat the highest bidder by many thousands locally. So now the upside. I own the car in the best shape it has been in a while and maybe for this money, I'll be driving it a bit and putting it to sleep for a few more years. While it is a cheap car, the driving experience on many roads is what driving pleasure is all about.

My New Car:

\\

Interesting to see what this Corroded 10AE MIata located in the USA just went for? That was a reasonable amount more than my reserve. THese cars are not in any way comparable though. One has real Corrosion underneath and tarnished underhood fittings,, no important and pricey mods with options to return it to stock) Worn out upholstery, opaque headlights, stained mats (Not easy to find like new) questionable roll bar, Holes drilled in the tunk for a luggage rack (EGADSS!!!), replaced tranny, more miles, lousy tires with no name brand!!!. Shaking my head how little hassle that would have been to buy another one like ....Oh yeah, forgot the two commemorative Seikos....and the little model, plus the Blue Key ...and keychain. It's worth the drive to Acton!
Going to test the BMW waters next and see if anyone is ok with crossing a border to do a transaction.

Last edited:
Canadian cars, for the most part, do not do well on BaT. There are too many export/import unknowns to potential US buyers. Your Miata introduces additional unknowns since it is a 1999 model year. As you state in the listing, it won't meet California smog specs. That eliminates quite a few potential buyers and raises questions to buyers from other states that may also have unique requirements for non vintage cars.

The process for importing a truly vintage car (1975 and earlier in most states) is simpler, but still seems daunting to most.

Potential buyers in the US likely have enough cars to choose from in the US that doing the required research with State, Federal, and Canadian agencies is too much of a bother to consider a Canadian car (sad but true). I've imported 2 vintage cars from Canada and the process is relatively simple...but it's tough to convince others of that.

One option you might consider is to offer to do all paperwork and pay all fees for export/import and to arrange transport to the buyer's home (buyer to pay only transport). Build these costs into your reserve price. This eliminates the biggest reason why Canadian cars don't do well with US buyers.

Back