Battery safety? 3.0CS

mmdb99

Reaction score
I bought my 3.0 a couple of years ago and just now getting it to road warrior status. Each day finds something new (and expensive). The latest is a previous owner had moved the battery to the trunk (not so bad) and then snaked the positive cable all around the bottom of the car, finally wrapping it around the steering column and I can see several places wearing away the installation. There is no protection between the battery and anywhere else. Is there a device that can mount on/next to the battery that is a fuse or circuit breaker that will protect against a short circuit (and I know I need to re-do some of the cable routing), or am I better off to try and find a battery plate and re-install in the engine bay? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a battery terminal with a a green handled disconnect screw. I use marine terminals on my battery and simply unscrew the ground when parked.

Wrapping the cable around the steering column is a terrible idea. You should be able to unwrap it and cut the cable shorter. You can crimp on a new terminal on the cut cable.

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/diy-heavy-duty-battery-cables.26960/

If you do need/want an OEM battery tray, I have one in my parts car. Just let me know.

Is there a device that can mount on/next to the battery that is a fuse or circuit breaker that will protect against a short circuit.

I really don't think so. The amount of current that the starter draws is much, much greater than the any other load. So a circuit breaker wouldn't be able to determine whether you were starting the engine (when you wouldn't want the breaker to trip) or a wire somewhere had shorted (where you would). Better to route your wiring so that the risk of a short is minimized.

As Markos wrote, wrapping the cable around the steering column is a terrible idea. That's like something a vandal would do - sort of like hacksawing halfway through a tie rod, or slicing a flexible brake line. What other ill-conceived "fixes" did that previous owner perform?

Hi Mark -- You should replace the cable promptly. Modern cars have fusible links built into their wiring harnesses to prevent melting of wires when a short exists, but I wouldn't try to do this with the cable you describe.

You could try to follow the existing routing, correcting the worst abuses you find. Alternatively, you might want to route it inside the car rather than underneath to protect the cable. It is possible to go from the trunk along the rear wheel well to an area under the rear seat, then along the transmission tunnel, under a seat and into the frame rails. There are small covers on the floor on each side near the front of each seat that cover the opening to the frame rails. You can come up through the open slots inside the engine bay. This avoids having to go through the firewall.

Either way, I would replace it promptly.

Alternatively, you might want to route it inside the car rather than underneath to protect the cable. It is possible to go from the trunk along the rear wheel well to an area under the rear seat, then along the transmission tunnel, under a seat and into the frame rails. There are small covers on the floor on each side near the front of each seat that cover the opening to the frame rails. You can come up through the open slots inside the engine bay. This avoids having to go through the firewall.

Absolutely the right way to go, very sound advise to stay inside the cabin.

Back