Bavaria headliner, door cards, carpet and belt line trim installed...and Lower Dash

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think I posted earlier that the front and rear windshields were in. Just prior to that, I had found an upholstery guy to FINALLY install the World headliner. He did a great job.

With that done and the glass in, I tackled the carpet kit from World. I chose the original brown/black "salt and pepper" in German loop. There was some back and forth needed with World and some adjustment of a few of the 19 (!) pieces, but that's pretty much to be expected.

Next up was the installation of the door cards. The ones that came with my (disassembled) Bavaria are in great shape...as is the back seat. The same upholstery guy is redoing my front seats with World kits and recovering the rear package shelf. I used the vapor barriers from @alprada70 . They fit perfectly and were easy to install. @ayiakis supplied some much needed soft trim parts and clamps.

The prior owner of the car had the beltline trim mounting holes filled. I'm not sure why, but it could be he liked a more modern look and/or couldn't find replacements for 3 of the trim pieces which were not usable. I liked the look without the beltline trim....but I liked it better with the trim. I found one of the missing pieces on a parts car and @alprada70 had access to NOS of the other two. I attached the trim with emblem tape so I did not have to redrill the mounting holes.

Here's a few pictures...
IMG_4810.jpeg

IMG_4842.jpeg

IMG_4836.jpeg

While the upholstery guy is redoing the front seats, I need to reassemble the HVAC system and install the glove boxes and other under dash finishing.

Gettin close!

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've been putting off assembling the lower dash, but I really needed to do that before the front seats came back from the upholsterer. I tackled it this week. I think that's the last major item. Install the front seats and the rear package tray when they are done, then start driving it to find all the things I missed.

Before...

IMG_4346.jpeg

After...

IMG_4853.jpeg

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You are truly going to enjoy your car when it is done.
Thanks, Chris. I think so. :)

I bought this car October 17, 2019. It was all apart and needed a lot of love...

IMG_3424 copy.jpg

IMG_3431 copy.jpeg

IMG_3426 copy.jpg

IMG_3510 copy.jpeg

I'll finish in under a year. The advantages of retirement + Covid.

I've owned 3 BMWs as daily drivers. An E28, E34, and E39. They were all great cars, but the E28 was the most fun (even being just an Eta). I'm hoping this E3 takes me back to that.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, with the progress and attention to detail, I think we now need to call you Richard.