Site Donor
Reaction score
A friend at the auction told me that this e3 sold for $26k
e3.jpg

Full info is here https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1973-bmw-bavaria-3-0-s/

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice to see an e3 getting some love. Interesting that as a US 3.0S Bavaria it doesn’t have A/C. I always scratch my head when reading the descriptions, who comes up with “optional tool kit, small bumpers (it’s a 73 with 2 1/2 mph bumpers just like the e9)” and is there proof of the mileage?

CSBM5

Reaction score
"Optional" 4-speed manual...lol. The automatic was optional of course and very rare thankfully. Also, I do think the tool kit was "optional" (I have the Hoffman price list saved someplace on my fileserver), but essentially every E3 imported had one. Hoffman used "options" that every car had as a way to advertise a low price for the Bavaria.

As for originality, if the owner had taken the time to fix a few appearance items to make it original in what you can see, it might have actually hammered higher. Get rid of those gauges, find a OE radio (typically AM only), replace the console side panels that have been cut and had speakers installed where you'd normally see intake vents on an A/C car, ditch the later model overflow plastic tank of the original metal one, find an OEM voltage regulator in place of that aftermarket thing, find an OE sparkplug cap for the toolkit, etc. All those little details can end up seriously influencing bidders in this market.

I'm glad I wasn't at the auction as this example might be too hard to have resisted though however...

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm, are my front bumper horns upside down?

BTW: Thankfully my Automatic is in its safe space so it will suffer no permanent psychological damage.